Title: Program Officer - Iraq, Program Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment status: Full-time
ABOUT HEARTLAND ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL:
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the youngest and fastest growing part of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAI is comprised of country offices globally implementing programs on a broad range of human rights issues, as well as the Chicago-based Marjorie Kovler Center for the Treatment of Survivors of Torture, which serves individuals from more than 50 countries. HAI has significant expertise in the fields of trauma-informed mental health care and access to justice for survivors of rights abuses. It is also an industry leader in access to high-quality and stigma-free health care. Across all of its programs, HAI promotes progressive, innovative approaches to human rights protections and gender equality.
The Program Officer for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region leads the development of proposals and grant activities for the respective region, working in coordination with team members from the regional Middle East and North Africa offices as well as HAI headquarters. The incumbent would leverage HAI’s programmatic areas and expertise in mental health and psychosocial support, gender equity, access to justice and stigma-free HIV prevention and care to deepen and expand its portfolio of donors.
Reporting to the Director of Program Development and Policy Advocacy, this position collaborates closely with technical advisors, and regional and country office leadership in identifying, developing, coordinating proposal submissions and maintaining HAI’s relationships and partnerships with the US Government and other institutional donors, partners and peer organizations.
The Program Officer is responsible for the organization’s MENA presence measured by successful development and attainment of fiscal resources to support execution of program development plans, maintenance and growth of current portfolios, diversification of funding and partner organizations, and facilitation of new contracts and grants.
Strategic Leadership Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the development and implementation of the strategic direction of Heartland Alliance International.
- Develop, in coordination with the HAI PD Team and the MENA Field Leadership, a regional MENA strategy for program development.
- Provide leadership to special projects, as assigned.
Program Development Responsibilities:
- Identify potential partners through networking and outreach, and work with them to develop grant concepts and activities under the overall strategic guidance of the PD team.
- Prepare, present, analyze, and evaluate grant concepts, applications, and grant agreement/award documents to ensure consistency with program priorities, goals, and objectives.
- Develop and finalize multiple proposals and other activities on an ongoing basis in a fast-paced and highly changeable environment.
- Research and analyze funding opportunities including USG, UN, other international governments, Foundations, and individual donors for opportunities throughout the MENA region with a strong emphasis on Iraq as it is one of HAI’s largest program offices.
- Lead in proposal preparation, including assisting in technical research, content analysis and interpretation, technical writing, and editing.
- Maintain communication with HAI PD team including participation in calls for the weekly team check-in, program design, and go/no-go considerations.
- Coordinate with Program Managers, technical advisors and MENA leadership to maintain and communicate a calendar of important external meetings, webinars, conferences, and workshops.
- Regularly conduct research regarding new opportunities for the MENA region.
- Develop policies, in coordination with the HAI PD Team, related to new grant components.
Donor Development Responsibilities:
- Maintain donor mapping relevant to HAI’s technical areas in the MENA region.
- Promote growth in funding from both traditional and non-traditional granting agencies for the MENA region.
- Together with the MENA Field Leadership, cultivate relationships with current and potential funders for the MENA region.
- Coordinate with Heartland Alliance’s Donor and Community Relations staff for authorization to submit Letters of Inquiry and/or applications to foundations.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 3 years of experience in international development and/or human rights.
- Preferred: A Master’s Degree or other advanced degree in any of the following fields: Psychology, Public Health, International Affairs/Development, Human Rights/Social Justice and 1-2 years of experience in international development and/or human rights.
- At least 2 years of experience with program development, including project design, proposal coordination, and technical writing.
- Experience in HAI’s sector areas is preferred – human rights, mental health and psychosocial support, access to justice, stigma-free healthcare, gender equity/rights, and key population work.
- Specific experience and knowledge in HAI’s programming in the MENA region preferred, which include supporting displaced people, minorities, and victims of trafficking; addressing violence against women; improving mental health infrastructure; and providing juveniles access to justice.
- Experience securing funding from US federal agencies including by not limited to USAID, Department of State, UN Agencies, the European Commission, Department of Labor, Foundations, and other Foreign Government funding.
- Must have written and spoken fluency in English and excellent English writing skills; Kurdish is a plus but is not required; however, must be able to effectively communicate with non-native English speakers, and with remote team members via a variety of technologies such as Skype and Microsoft Teams.
- Demonstrate a commitment to advancing human rights and supporting the mission of Heartland Alliance International.
- Forward and Strategic Thinking- Able to understand the strategic intent and purpose of job duties and responsibilities, and able to offer insights to the management team regarding means to over-come barriers or improve processes.
- Self Motivation - Has an awareness of their intrinsic motivations. Understands many jobs have duties or responsibilities that the employee does not feel motivated to complete, but is able to identify strategies –or seeks guidance from management- to complete all work duties with the same level of quality and efficiency.
- Professionalism - Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one’s words, actions, presentation of self, and mode of behavior. Monitors quality of work and selects the words or actions most likely to have the desired effect on the individual or group in question.
- Reliability - Shows commitment/ dedication and accountability in one’s work, and follows through on all projects, goals, aspects of one’s work. Fulfills all commitments made to peers, co-workers, and supervisor. Works to achieve agreement (by offering alternatives, etc.) on time frames or objectives that can be realistically met.
- Teamwork and collaboration- Willingly seeks and shares knowledge that will enable a colleague to improve in their job, or the team to advance towards a project goal. Takes into account the organization as a whole when making decisions. Separates one’s own interests from HAI’s interests to make the best possible judgments for HAI.
- Adaptability - Changes behavioral style or method of approach when necessary to achieve a goal; adjusts style as appropriate to the needs of the situation. Responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Integrity and Authenticity- Respects confidentiality. Contributes fair and equal contributions at work, measured by following through with promised and assigned work and honoring commitments, being honest about capabilities, limitations, and mistakes.
- Cultural Humility and Interpersonal Awareness- Aware of and able to read cues in different situations then adapt accordingly. Makes others feel comfortable by responding in ways that convey interest in what they have to say.
- Resilience and Stress Tolerance- Ability to manage difficult situations, seeks support or accepts offers of support when necessary, ability to overcome challenges
- Service Orientation- Willing to assist colleagues or participants by performing duties outside of one's job description, able to recognize when someone is confused or needs help and offers assistance without being asked. When unable to help, directs the individual to someone who can.
- Written Communications- Writes using concrete, specific language relevant to the purpose and audience
- Technical Expertise- Keeps informed about developments and trends in one’s technical area.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee may be required to travel occasionally to insecure and limited-resource environments.
- This position will be located in the MENA region.