Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
The Plant Procurement Manager & Americas Procurement Lead (Senior Procurement Leader) will have procurement responsibility for a regional or cluster of sites and the delivery of the procurement strategy in the SBU. Operating as a span breaker for the SBU Procurement Director, Plant Procurement Managers. Additionally, has Procurement Manager responsibility for a large/complex base site. Responsible for the Procurement function on a plant, ensuring the delivery of all procurement targets; site specific procurement and local implementation of group led and SBU led spend categories and local supplier performance management. May have responsibility for a category where this is specific to the site. Enables the SBU Procurement Director to effectively partner with the Sector executive committee in all day-today procurement activities that impact the SBU P&L. Ensures SBU activities are in accordance with Procurement Excellence strategy, goals and Group Procurement Policy/Standards. Enables Group Chief Procurement Officer to effectively deliver Procurement Excellence strategy and goals at SBU.
- Act in accordance with JM values and bring to life the One Procurement Community (OPC) to enable JM’s Procurement Excellence strategy.
- Lead in accordance with the Group Procurement Operating Model, Group Policies and Standards, the SBU procurement activities from category strategy development to contract, implementation and supplier management.
- Lead effective business partnership for SBU for the development and improvement of defined categories in line with business requirements, optimising security of supply, commercial agility, drives responsibly sourced sustainable value, which contributes to business profitability and cash flow.
- Works to identify, develop and implement innovative and evolutionary supply-side initiatives to deliver sustainable value, appropriate quality and service, and a secure, safe, cost effective and ethical supply base.
- Is focused on delivering best practice results and a competitive advantage to JM.
- Contributing to the development of the Group-led category strategy or leading it for SBU-led and Plant categories. Contributing to managing the sourcing cycle. Brings in breakthrough ideas and best-in-class approaches. Developing, supporting and implementing all procurement strategic projects held globally.
- Executing the outcome of category strategies and sourcing action plans to effective implementation and value realisation. Defining the team required to successfully deliver the plan across SBU and each Plant.
- Provide information and impact assessments to Group Procurement to set Group-led procurement strategies and plans and excellently execute them for the SBU in related Plants.
- Secure senior stakeholder commitment, drive and deliver cost/risk/innovation/value-based projects for the SBU and related Plants, developing excellent collaboration with Group Procurement.
- Identifies, evaluates and capitalises on opportunities to reduce procurement costs by improving the businesses procurement patterns and supply channels.
- Involved in establishing policies, procedures and controls to ensure effective procurement activities and vendor execution.
- Leads business improvement initiatives across programmes of work to ensure that the strategic goals of the business and Procurement are met.
- Manages the performance and output of the team to drive change and develop, implement, optimise and/or continuously improve work processes, techniques and systems and deliver supply side saving projects in accordance with Group targets.
- Manages team to ensure full compliance with applicable JM/SBU legislative, regulatory, audit, EHS and Group Procurement ethical standards, policies, procedures and processes. Including Supplier Due Diligence and Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Supports, coaches and involves team members in implementing EHS improvements and driving attainment of sustainability/responsible sourcing goals.
- Takes ownership of specific tasks/projects as directed by SBU Procurement Director and Group Chief Procurement Officer.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Graduate qualification (ideally master’s degree educated), (and/or) proven experience preferably in Automotive, FMCG and/or Chemical procurement of at least 8 years desirable.
- Excellent functional Procurement experience managing direct and indirect categories across a region or multiple geographies. Knowledge and experience of best practice category management, sourcing, contract management and supplier performance management practices.
- Ability to operate effectively in different cultures and across geographies, including managing stakeholders and colleagues remotely (across distance and time zones).
- Proven track record successfully leading and conducting the negotiation of contracts across technical, commercial and legal areas.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to champion the vision of the Procurement organisation.
- Ability to facilitate multiple activities at any one time, prioritise workload and effectively communicate current positions.
- Ability to balance total cost of ownership (TCO), strategic and tactical delivery.
- Good professional command of English language.
- For materials, Value Analysis and Value Engineering to identify and drive benefit opportunities desirable.
- Identify and drive NPI opportunities to execution across SBU for categories desirable.
- Consistent performance and delivers outstanding results. Can make things happen.
- Structured yet flexible. Comfortable with/able to thrive in conditions of change and complexity.
- Strong project and change management capabilities.
- Experience leading, motivating and developing people through difficult period/large change desirable.
- Ability to drive behavioural change.
- Strong analytical and qualitative skills.
- Proven ability to inspire, energise and lead a team.
- MCIPS qualified or prepared to work towards qualification desirable.