Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
The Global Commercial Director is responsible for all commercial activity in the Medical Device Components market of the New Markets Sector in order to achieve the sales revenues and contribution margin implicit in the business plan. The objective is to create, implement and deliver a global sales and marketing strategy, and to build, develop and manage a team delivering commercial excellence throughout the organisation, which in combination will deliver robust and sustained business growth.
• Responsible for all Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) aspects of the business from a commercial perspective and the welfare of employees within the commercial environment.
• Contributes to the strategic plan of the Medical Device Components business, to create a sales and marketing strategy that delivers robust and sustained revenue and profit growth with particular emphasis on top line sales growth, customer loyalty and customer profitability.
• Develops key account strategies, high level relationships with key customers and delivers excellent customer service.
• Responsible for the preparation and delivery of the annual sales budget, three-year plan revenues and accurate short to medium term rolling sales forecasts.
• Develops pricing guidelines or limits in conjunction with business management.
• Compiles intelligence relating to the market and emerging trends in the medical device market.
• Remains abreast of competitive technologies and competitive activities.
• Conducts thorough market and industry analyses and prepare comprehensive business plans for implementation. Initiates frequent customer contact, makes independent sales calls and drives sales negotiations on behalf of Johnson Matthey to maximize sales revenue and profitability.
• Ensuring Group policies are followed, with particular attention to compliance with competition law, health and safety and the JM Code of Ethics.
Are you the ideal candidate?
• EHS is our number one value in Johnson Matthey. The LST business requires strong leadership in this area and the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate their skills in EHS behavioural leadership in a commercial and wider leadership capacity.
• University degree in science, engineering and/or business management.
• Significant sales and/or marketing experience required, ideally in medical components or medical devices.
• Significant commercial leadership and people management experience with excellent time management.
• Working knowledge of the PGM metals markets and medical applications is desirable.
• Must possess ability to build and execute strategic plans to include market analysis, value chain analysis and evaluation of key market trends.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organisation.
• Must possess strong leadership and management skills within a commercial environment with the ability to motivate and influence direct reports to deliver high performance and effect change, including experience of implementing commercial excellence programmes.
• Strong interpersonal skills with internal and external customers and demonstration of business revenue growth through profitable sales and value creation.
• As this role is global and will have significant travel, the incumbent will be required to build strong relationships across different countries and cultures and must have had experience of managing in a global context previously.
• Demonstrated ability to create and deliver effective presentations to customers and potential customers.
• This role will need to work closely with the rest of the Leadership Team working to strengthen sales and operational planning processes, to ensure delivery to the customer.