Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
This position entails responsibility for supporting technical programs with an OE customer in North America. Individual will report to the Applications Manager (Gasoline and Modeling/Simulations) supporting the RTAMs and Technical Program Managers with appropriate catalyst technology selection through well-defined testing and data analysis. Support will be required for laboratory and field testing or prototype emission control systems, engine test cell troubleshooting, catalyst manufacturing issues troubleshooting and the technical support necessary for the customer to commercialize the product. The incumbent will work with Technical Program Managers, customer engineers, JM test cell operators, and samples and process groups as necessary to co-ordinate system development. Incumbent will also work with control systems and hardware suppliers as necessary to support test cell work. Travel to other JM facilities, customer sites and/or conferences up to 15% of the time may be required.
- The candidate will support applications programs for the customer. This includes, but is not limited to, the design and execution of technical programs aimed at the application of exhaust aftertreatment technologies in vehicles.
- Comply with all Johnson Matthey Hazardous Waste procedures and local, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Interact closely with RTAMs, Technical Program Managers in designing and supporting catalyst programs to investigate the application of catalyst technologies on OE customer vehicles.
- Support programs for new emission control systems development through laboratory and engine cell testing. Carry out both engine and system troubleshooting in test cell to ensure successful testing.
- Analyse, interpret and summarize data obtained during the execution of the programs, during engine, reactor and field tests. Present data to internal and external customers.
- Maintain clear and accurate records of technical activities including program plans, description sheets, and data summaries.
- Provide technical support and applications information to Johnson Matthey Sales, Marketing and Customer Service groups.
- Lead post-mortem analysis planning and documentation, for catalysts returned from field tests and engine tests. Support troubleshooting process at customer, to resolve any issues observed during evaluations.
- Assist in scale-up activities, production transfer process and interface with manufacturing personnel to ensure new products are manufactured correctly.
- To carry out any other duties which are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- BSc degree in Chemical/Mechanical/Materials Engineering or Chemistry with 5 years of related experience OR PhD or MSc Degree in the same fields with 0-2 years of experience.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization with multi-cultural team, as well as with customer(s)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, organization, and influencing skills
- Experience in Design of Experiment and project Management desirable
- Experience in emission control catalysis and good working knowledge of catalyst design is preferred
- Experience in Engine Test Cell operations and emissions testing desirable