About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched shows as The American Life, Wait, Don't Tell Me..., Nerdette, Making Oprah and the ground-breaking podcast Serial. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including radio broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland's premier media hub for high quality, fact based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ's sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
The Talent Manager will be a key player in partnering with Chicago Public Media (CPM) leadership and staff to align operational needs with the organization’s overall talent management objectives. You will facilitate efforts in support of an inclusive culture by working closely with The Chief People Officer and the Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI) Council to create and implement strategies that promote the development of talent and engagement of the staff. Using a DEI lens, you will help modernize our approach to recruitment, onboarding, retention, training, leadership development, goal setting, performance management, and learning and growth opportunities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and manage plans, systems, tools, processes and procedures that maximize the efficiency, effectiveness and impact of the performance process while reinforcing behaviors necessary for the growth and development of teams. Processes include goal setting, performance reviews, development plans, and quarterly coaching sessions.
- Manage programs to establish consistent leadership development, potentially including solutions such as 360-Degree feedback, mentoring or targeted development resources.
- Fully evaluate all current assessment and selection processes in partnership with Talent Acquisition.
- Establish new tools as needed to ensure effectiveness of selection processes in attracting diverse talent, ensuring positive candidate experience, and predicting success.
- Oversee and roll out various trainings and workshops in support of on-going talent development needs.
- Utilize talent management data to provide analysis and recommendations to enhance experience and improve outcomes.
- Ability to work with internal recruiter to co-create and implement sourcing strategies for recruitment of a variety of roles, adhering to best industry practices.
- Plans and leads the performance management and goal setting processes; establishes processes and practices for formal and informal performance review conversations.
- A proven track record of driving DEI initiatives, finding new solutions in growing a pipeline of talent.
- Experience developing relationships with external partners to advance company DEI initiatives.
- Design, develop, and execute ongoing talent strategies including performance management, team and performance effectiveness, talent reviews, and competency framework.
- Develop programs and lead company-wide organizational training and employee development and engagement programs to promote a performance culture that drives business results, employee engagement, and diversity, equity & inclusion.
- Identify and design scalable solutions that include a blended approach to learning across all levels, including coaching, live and virtual training, 1:1 session, action learning, stretch assignments and e-learning.
- Highly comfortable using data to drive decision making and measure success.
- Build alignments amongst cross-functional partners to drive initiatives.
- Effectively leads and executes many projects and tasks in parallel.
- Effectively influences various teams without direct reporting structure.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of experience in Talent Management, Organizational Development, Organizational Effectiveness or related field.
- Demonstrated passion for and ability to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace culture.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good negotiation tactics.
- Outstanding communication skills and track record of building alignment amongst cross-functional partners to drive initiatives.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with public media operations a plus.
- Participation in a DEI committee preferred.
- Ability to work with LinkedIn recruiter, Taleo, or other applicant tracking and talent management tools.