At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Patient Escort reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Patient Escort is responsible for the safe and efficient escort of patients, blood products, specimens and other patient related articles.
The Patient Escort Department is typically hiring for 1st, 2nd and/or 3rd shifts and both part-time/full-time opportuities. Benefits are available to both part-time and full-time employees.
- Responsible for escorting patients as assigned.
- Responsible for checking each patient's name band prior to escorting to ensure proper patient identification.
- Provide and adjust escort equipment for safety and comfort of the patient i.e. appropriate linen, side rails.
- Required to disinfect / wipe down equipment with approved cleaning product between patient transports.
- Assist patients onto escort equipment. If patients need additional help, patient care should be asked to assist.
- Shows ownership over escort equipment, including routine cleaning, linen dressing and minor maintenance.
- Responsible for notifying nursing or ancillary personnel upon arrival or departure of patients.
- Attends to the care of documents relating to the patient e. g. medical charts.
- Makes routine specimen rounds when assigned to assure that lab specimens are picked up and delivered in a timely manner.
- Makes certain that all requisitions are attached and those specimens are properly bagged by department staff prior to delivery to the lab.
- Deliver blood products when assigned. Check name and number on each blood product for accuracy.
- Responsible for delivering deceased patients to the morgue when assigned.
- Report immediately any unusual symptoms of patients i. e. fainting or shortness of breath during time of escort.
- Provides, moves and cares for escort equipment for the movement of patients.
- Must be able to speak, spell, read, write and understand English. Excellent communication skills and ability to interact well with patients of all ages.
- Must have good patient relations and courteous manners.
- Must be able to work under stress in a fast-paced environment.
- Must demonstrate reliability, punctuality and good attendance. This role may support additional projects, perform administrative tasks, and other duties as assigned.
- Enrollment in BLS training course within 2 months of hire and successful completion within 3 months.
- Must be COVID vaccinated
- High School diploma or acceptable equivalent.
- At least 1 year experience with patient escort handling.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.