Patient Food Service Assistant – RUSH University Medical Center
Work Type: Part-Time
Work Schedule: 4 Hr (4:00PM - 9:30PM)
About Skills for Chicagoland’s Future
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is your advocate with the hiring company throughout the hiring process. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. Additionally, Skills is free for job seekers.
Performs food service-related activities to ensure patient satisfaction. Ensures food service sanitation and Quality Control standards are met. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Delivers patient meal trays, continental breakfast, between meal snacks, and nourishments. Uses scripts, age appropriate guidelines, and patient identification procedures when passing trays and nourishments; Follows infection control and food safety guidelines; Collects trays after meal service.
• Ensures patients with prescribed diets receive meal trays on units assigned.
• Delivers and collects patient selective menus; assists patients with menu selection as appropriate.
• Prepares food for, assembles, and serves patient trays.
• Reports patient food preferences, patient requests, unusual intake and comments to the clinical nutrition staff.
• Maintains and improves patient satisfaction scores on unit assigned.
• Cleans and sanitizes nourishment centers and soiled tray carts, ensures all equipment is in working order; reports equipment problems to supervisors; records designated refrigerator temperatures daily, as appropriate.
• Requisitions, delivers, stores, and tallies floor stock and nourishments. Records amount of par stock delivered to each patient care unit; Ensures food on par stock cart remains in the temperature safety zone; Ensures all food is labeled and dated in the nourishment galley.
• Clears over bed tables for patients and prepares beverages prior to each meal. 10. Uses hospital computer and communication systems for patient meal service.
• Assists in training personnel as assigned.
• Follows hospital and department policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Job Qualifications:
• H. S. Diploma or GED.
• Illinois Department of Public Health and City of Chicago Sanitation Certification required within six months of hire
• Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English and demonstrate reading ability. Note: On the Job Training to include training of appropriate interventions based on patient's age and developmental status; On the job competency will be evaluated
• Able to perform as an active team player, Customer Service Orientation.
• Enjoys working with people/patients.
• Good interpersonal skills, outgoing personality, positive and pleasant demeanor at all times.
• Able to demonstrate basic math and computer skills.
• Able to work independently without direct supervision.
• Exhibit critical thinking and decision making skills.
• Able to function in a fast-paced work environment.
• Able to pay close attention to detail.
• Able to handle volatile situations.
• Able to demonstrate a sense of urgency.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Foodservice and customer service experience.
• Must be able to lift 30 - 50 pounds and push or pull a cart of food trays.
• Work demands 100% walking and/or standing.
• Work duties may demand standing in place for extended periods, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling.
• Able to communicate with patients and staff using a variety of audio-technology.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.