The position is part of the organization’s accounting departments and reports directly to the Director of Financial Management/CFO. The position is responsible for recording the day-to-day transactions including cash disbursements, cash receipts, bi-weekly payroll entries, and other general accounting requirements that arise in the normal monthly financial reporting cycle. In addition to providing such services to Penn Hillel, the position will perform similar functions for two other Campus Hillel organizations. The position will also require interacting with programmatic staff, and outside auditors for the annual audit.
- Knowledge of Abila MIP Fund Accounting software or familiarity with accounting systems for non-profits. Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word software is a must.
- Timely Recording of comprehensive financial transactions in order to issue monthly financial statements. Responsibilities include:
- Recording income and expenses in the accounting system after month end. Coordination with Institutional Advancement Staff to deposit all checks in the proper GL account, consistent with the budgeted line item. Coordination with Center Directors and their staff to code income and expenses, consistent with budgeted amounts.
- Develop spreadsheets and analyses for recurring accounting entries and prepaid amounts.
- Record bi-weekly payroll entries from Paycom, Penn Hillel’s third-party processor, in the GL for each Campus Hillel as detailed in item 4.
- Prepare year-end salary and other accruals on an as needed basis.
- Prepare personnel and administrative schedules and forms for Penn Hillel and Other Campus Hillels. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure all procedures in Employee Handbook are followed to include implementing changes resulting from new policies. Process new hire paperwork on a complete and timely basis, ensuring that all forms are imputed in the Paycom payroll system, and administer existing employee payroll changes. Create an improved “customer service” approach for answering staff agency benefits questions.
- Prepare, send, and file the required annual 1099’s for services provided to Penn Hillel and the two other Campus Hillels within the January 31 deadline.
- Prepare the bi-weekly payroll using Paycom’s third-party payroll system. Responsibilities include:
- Bi-Weekly payroll processing for Penn Hillel, Temple Hillel and Greater Philly Hillel Network.
- Implement necessary changes in salary, parsonage and benefits in the Paycom payroll system as needed.
- Record necessary journal entries in the general ledger to record bi-weekly payroll.
- Participate in the onboarding of new employees in the Paycom payroll system.
- Assist employees in navigating and training with respect to the Paycom payroll system.
- Maintain proper vacation and sick leave accruals within the Paycom system and communicate with employees regarding their individual amounts as needed.
- Review check requests for proper documentation, approval and accounting coding. Ensure issuance of checks on a timely and accurate basis.
- Confer with Institutional Advancement to prepare the necessary journal entries to accurately code and record cash and credit card donations. Prepare bank deposits.
- Provide schedules and other information required in connection with the annual audit performed by outside auditors.
- Maintain high levels of “customer service” concerning staff, vendor and student requests for financial information.
The full-time position requires an individual with a Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years’ experience working in a financial/accounting department, including all areas of general ledger accounting including, but not limited to, cash receipts and cash disbursements. Experience in a non profit organization is a plus. Furthermore, the individual should have experience with payroll, including processing, recording and monitoring transactions.
The successful candidate should have excellent interpersonal skills in order to effectively communicate with non-financial programmatic staff. Additionally, the individual must be a team player who is willing to go the extra mile when necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Penn Hillel offers an excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical and dental plans, retirement savings plan including an employer match, as well as life and long term disability insurance. Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
About Penn Hillel
Penn Hillel is an independent 501c3 nonprofit organization affiliate with Hillel International and an integrated institution of the University of Pennsylvania. The organization’s current annual budget is over $3 million, with a full-time staff of 17 people.
For more information about Penn Hillel: visit pennhillel.org
Please email Robert Oldstein, CFO, at firstname.lastname@example.org including your resume and cover letter to apply for this position.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.