Hillel at Virginia Tech
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Hillel at Virginia Tech as the Development Associate. You’ll power Hillel by supporting efforts to connect people, vital funds and resources to our mission.
You will support the fundraising, networking and recordkeeping efforts of Hillel at Virginia Tech and gain irreplaceable experience of all that goes on within a non-profit organization. It’s an exciting opportunity to learn and grow impacting hundreds of leaders as you build lasting relationships with donors and keep them informed on how their financial input is making the world a better place.
What You’ll Do
- Provide administrative support for the team to execute fundraising strategies and engagement.
- Plan and organize annual fundraising events including our family weekend, alumni weekend and Commonwealth Kiddush Cup Campaign.
- Build a young alumni committee to cultivate a culture of giving among new professionals
- Provide exceptional communication to funders, parents and supporters of Hillel at Virginia Tech through letter-writing campaigns, newsletters, thank-a-thons and social media.
- Lead the management of Little Green Light, our donor management system. Process donations, generate reports, and ensure the system is consistently accurate.
On a Day to Day Basis You Will
- Engage in outreach to parents and alumni, including meetings and support of the Hillel at Virginia Tech alumni and parent groups.
- Build partnerships with campus administration and Development Office, Hillel’s International Centers, and foundations.
- Develop and promote a culture of philanthropy throughout Hillel, including creativity, teamwork, accountability and continuous improvement.
- Support the Executive Director in managing organizational processes, including budget tracking, communications, marketing, and development strategy.
- Schedule and prepare written materials for critical meetings including those with the Board of Directors, major donors, and local foundations.
What You’ve Accomplished
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Interest in fundraising, development, marketing, and event planning.
- Skill in written and oral communication skills; able to communicate appropriately through email, formal letters, reports, and social media with a close eye to detail.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Canva, and social media platforms; Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel, successfully managing multiple priorities.
- Willingness to facilitate conversations and learn more about Judaism and Israel in a way that inspires stakeholders to invest in our work.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $35,000 - $45,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Plenty of Hillel and university schwag
About Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia, home of Virginia Tech is a beautiful community nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains with plenty of places to enjoy natural beauty and hiking. The university has 30,000 undergraduate students with about a 9% Jewish student population. Virginia Tech is continuing development in Blacksburg, Roanoke, and the Innovation Campus in the D.C. region; welcoming new talent, exploring new ideas and taking Virginia Tech to new heights. This is an opportunity for you to impact the diversity of the university and join together strengthening the voices of the Jewish students, alumni and friends.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Virginia Tech is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.