Vice President, Philanthropy
The VP, Philanthropy will lead Hillel Ontario’s financial resource development strategies, working in partnership with the CEO and Chief Strategy Officer. You will supervise the Development team, to successfully reach the organization’s financial targets, and work collaboratively with all stakeholders, including Hillel Ontario’s Board of Directors and Board of Governors. You will manage a portfolio of your own donors and be accountable for determining and achieving the annual fundraising targets, as directed by the Board of Directors and CEO. You will drive a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization and discover and develop new relationships to enhance Hillel Ontario’s visibility and resources in the community. This position will report directly to the Chief Strategy Officer.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team, providing strategic thought and guidance on financial decisions affecting the organization by owning and executing on the organizations fundraising strategy
- Support and partner with the CEO, Chief Strategy Officer, Board and Board of Governors members to lead all major fundraising initiatives
- Create a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization by seeing, and leveraging, all development opportunities with both staff and lay leadership
- Seek and cultivate strategic, new relationships to build the organization’s visibility, impact, and financial resources
- Collaboratively create and own Hillel Ontario’s Development Plan for approval by the CEO and Board of Directors
- Supervise, guide and mentor a team of fundraising professionals
- Act as the primary staff liaison to the Development Committee of the Board
- Successfully cultivate and solicit a portfolio of major donors
- Own the development cycle at all levels of the organization, ensuring that we are data-driven and executing with excellence
- Drive Hillel Ontario’s pipeline strategies, ensuring that we are always planning ahead, and maintaining a strong pipeline of prospects and donors
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives and operational support
- Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position the organization ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Continue to refine and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development strategy
- Oversee solicitations for the CEO, Chief Strategy Officer, Board and Board of Governors members and other members of the development committee, as well as the development staff
- Work in partnership with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure that all fundraising materials are on brand and represent Hillel Ontario as a reputable, sophisticated, data driven organization that is worthy of significant philanthropic investment
- Ensure that the donor database is maintained, and data hygiene is a consistent part of the fundraising processes.
- Oversee all administrative tasks relative to development, inclusive of tax receipts, thank you letters, mailings, reports and updates, etc.
- Write grants, where applicable, and maintain relationships with foundations
- Suggest other innovative ideas for effective resource mobilization
What You’ve Accomplished
- Bachelor’s degree required, CFRE or equivalent, AHPF or post-graduate degree in Development or Philanthropy an asset
- 10+ years of fundraising experience with a demonstrated track record of successful solicitations in any combination of grassroots, direct mail, intermediate giving, major gifts and events, gift planning, endowments, capital campaigns
- Successfully closed gifts over $250k
- You are ready to move up to a senior role, in a smaller shop
- You are a relationship maven, particularly adept at managing complex stakeholder relationships, and providing leadership to a talented and growing team of fundraising professionals
- Significant experience working with and managing Boards and volunteer lay leadership structures
- The ability to think strategically, anticipate challenges, ask good questions and provide solutions where necessary
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate, take initiative and hold the highest standard of excellence
- Knowledge of, and relationships within, the fundraising community and Toronto Jewish community is a significant asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Team player, who is able to manage shifting priorities and operating with humility and patience in a fast-paced environment
- A deep sense of curiosity for people and complex organizations
- You understand how to get the best from people- you lead with an ethos of being more invested in giving gold stars than receiving them.
- The ability to listen with intent and focus
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $130,000-$145,000, commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, and generous vacation/sick time, as well as mental health days and cell phone.
- Amazing colleagues
- A fun and fast-paced work environment
- Access to professional development opportunities
- The opportunity to have a significant impact on Jewish students on campuses across Ontario
- This position has a start date of July 2, 2021
About Hillel Ontario
Hillel Ontario serves approximately 14,000 Jewish students across nine universities, and is the largest regional Hillel system in the world. A model for the Hillel movement, Hillel Ontario was created on October 1, 2015. Hillel Ontario strives to inspire every Jewish student at nine universities across the province to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that fosters an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and trains them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel Ontario is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.