Director of Jewish Student Life
The Director of Jewish Student Life at Guelph Hillel will help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life on campus. As an authentic Jewish teacher, the educator will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement. You will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences; inspiring Shabbat and holiday traditions and services; and educational programs that help students shape their Jewish ideology and identity.
- Identify needs of the Jewish communities on campus that are underserved and develop strategies for meeting these needs with proven community organizing and outreach methods.
- Build relationships with students from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations and by creating connections to opportunities to participate in Jewish life on campus.
- Serve as a key Jewish educational resource for students and professionals on campus, helping to mentor and enrich Jewish journeys and emerging Hillel student leaders, including facilitating the Jewish Learning Fellowship.
On a day to day basis you will
- Build one on one relationships with students.
- Set up meaningful learning opportunities for students to study Judaism, such as an introductory level course that includes basic Jewish education and deep exploration of Jewish identity.
- Build relationships with the leaders of Jewish fraternities and sorority.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or similar.
- Degree in Jewish studies, Jewish education, or a related field.
- Formal teaching experience and/or background in experiential Jewish education
- Proven success in community building and outreach, previous experience in program visioning and implementation as well as success in developing curricula and informal educational experiences.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- An approachable, dynamic, engaging personality with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to strongly relate to college students and a love for working with this population.
- A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional Jewish texts to contemporary Jewish wisdom, culture and unconventional Jewish sources.
- Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan, but you must be willing to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
- Confidence initiating and running programs.
- Creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
What You’ll Receive
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position is $45,000-$60,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, health insurance, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- This position has a start date of August 2021
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Guelph Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.