Hillel Ontario is looking for a Director of Philanthropy to amplify the organization’s fundraising efforts. You will utilize your understanding of the “science” of fundraising to optimize and oversee the entire process from cultivation to close. Our ideal candidate’s balance of Major Gift giving experience and knack for personalized and customized appeals will significantly impact Hillel’s ability to achieve its mission of enriching the lives of Jewish students on campus.
About Hillel Ontario
At Hillel Ontario we have a brief and critical four-year window of opportunity to form a connection with Jewish students to achieve our vision of inspiring every Jewish student in Ontario to make an enduring connection to Jewish life, learning, and Israel. As the largest Jewish student organization in the world, Hillel’s programming creates environments and opportunities for Jewish students to become proud, resilient, community-focused leaders.
The opportunity encompasses three primary elements: 1) be bold and innovative in creating new fundraising opportunities, 2) build and steward long lasting donor and community relationships, and 3) set a real and tangible example for all of our stakeholders of how a positive
culture encompasses philanthropy.
This role involves managing and growing a team of dedicated and passionate professionals that all want to see Hillel’s ability to positively impact students grow. To be successful, you will need to install best practices that balances Hillel’s existing processes and cultural norms with a new infrastructure grounded in data and analytics. Our ideal candidate can demonstrate design thinking and is able to produce very polished collateral (both digital and printed) that succinctly and effectively messages the goals of our various campaigns. You are highly motivated and self-driven, keep up with social media trends and digital strategies.
What You’ll Do:
- Grow the donor pipeline
- Develop strategies to move key stakeholders through the donor pipeline and ensure that our grassroots campaigns are consistent with the overall fundraising strategy.
- Build and execute a cultivation and stewardship strategy for new major gift donors at the $10,000 - $25,000 level
- Work with the CFO to set and track yearly fundraising goals and overall strategy
- Work with the development team to help develop strategic and customized donor cultivation and solicitation plans
- Enable our individual campuses to thrive by working with, and educating our local
- Directors to become engaged ambassadors and successful fundraisers
- Ensure that the development team is focused and understands the vision for the coming fiscal year
- Ensure that our stakeholders experience a positive and relevant donor journey
What You Have Accomplished:
- 5+ years of experience in the nonprofit sector, plus at least 5 years of major gift fundraising experience
- Multiple year of experience in managing both an internal team as well as volunteers and lay leaders in the community
- Experience with building a metrics driven plan to achieve fundraising goals
- Demonstrated design, creativity and analytical abilities with a particular focus on superior verbal, written, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Worked with a variety of stakeholders with a proven record of building strong working relationships, internal and external to the organization.
What You’ll Bring to the Job:
- Excellent communication skills and fine attention to details.
- A balance of learned best practices, forward-thinking management and a vision of what’s possible under your leadership
- A heart and working ears. You need to be passionate about what we do and you need to listen and hear what your team, your colleagues and your community are saying.
- Ability to attract and engage donors to the mission of Hillel Ontario
- Ability to plan and organize multiple projects simultaneously
- A creative and energetic personality with strong interpersonal relationship skills, necessary to deal effectively with a diverse group of donors
- Ability to coach junior staff and help them to develop their skills on fundraising best practices, stewardship planning and overall relationship building
- In depth knowledge of the local Jewish community is an asset
What You’ll Receive:
- Job satisfaction. Seriously. With the group of people you’ll be working with and the students your work will directly impact, you will feel very good about what you do.
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is commensurate with experience.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health/dental insurance, Life and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, generous vacation/sick time, and paid mental health days.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and career growth potential
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel Ontario is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.