Brainstorm Creative Resources is supporting a social impact marketing firm located in Washington, DC, that helps its clients effectively communicate to stakeholders about the value of their work, and raise philanthropic dollars to achieve mission success.
The Copywriter will work collaboratively within a team of communications and development strategists on brand articulation, philanthropic campaigns, donor communications and messaging as well as broad-based communications and marketing messages for a wide range of audiences. S/he will dive into research and issues related to education, health, climate change, economic development and civil rights. Long and short form copy will drive home value to move people into action.
MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THIS ROLE:
The hiring firm will consider individuals who are seeking full-time positions, and also those seeking temporary-to-permanent conversion opportunities that would start out as contracting engagements and transition to full-time employment within three to six months. There is only one position. We are posting two different job announcements that include the same substantive content so that applicants can let us know which employment situation they prefer. You may apply for just the full-time role, just the temp-to-perm role or both. Applicants who are interested in both situations should apply for one role and then attach their application profile (this will require just a click or two) to the other position within our application system. Please search our currently open positions to find the Full-time version of this opportunity.
* Develop core creative content, message frames based on research as well as a broad range of donor facing communications.
* Create compelling headlines and body copy that will capture the attention of the target audience.
* Working with our team’s Social Impact Strategists, conduct in-depth research on sector-based topics in order to develop original content as needed.
* Develop content for blogs, articles, product descriptions, social media, and our firm’s website.
* Prepare assignment planning materials, including outlines and synopsis.
* Ensure the logical flow of all writing produced within the firm.
* Proofread, edit and polish existing content to eliminate errors and improve readability.
* Participate in feedback sessions/meetings with the team and clients.
LEADERSHIP + MANAGEMENT:
* Establish production schedules by collaborating with designers, strategists, and senior leadership.
* Prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs.
* Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges.
* Harness teams together to produce a unified product for a wide range of clients.
* Present or oversee the presentation of final concepts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS + EXPERIENCE:
* A bachelor’s degree preferred and/or equivalent, relevant, consistent experience working as a title, professional writer in an agency, corporate or non-profit communications setting.
* Ideally, at least least five years of experience. We will consider candidates with fewer years of experience whose example work truly shines. We are also are very interested in talking with senior communications professionals whose career paths clearly lead them to this particular role.
* A portfolio of messaging work that is both broad and deep, and which includes numerous examples that would be considered obviously relevant to this position.
* Can write in different voices.
* The ability to work with and without supervision.
* Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work within tight deadlines while maintaining a disciplined focus on organizational goals and measurable objectives.
* Attention to detail and the ability to solve complex problems.
* Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with external clients.
* Flexible and adaptable style.
* Positive attitude and proven success as a team member and collaborator.
* Availability for some evening and weekend work, if necessary.
The employer is located in Washington, DC. All employees are working from home currently.
We are ideally seeking local (DC, MD, VA) candidates who live within a commutable distance of the employer's highly Metro-accessible offices and would be able to work in-person in the not so distant future. We are also interested in hearing from individuals living regionally who would strongly consider a move to the Washington, DC area within the next year, and from particularly well qualified individuals living elsewhere, who are seeking a full-time, salaried remote work situation.
Individuals who are interested in working part-time will not be considered for the position.
We encourage talented, experienced communications professionals who do not qualify for this position to complete our general application here: http://bit.ly/brainstorm_dc_application.
RATE + SALARY:
Based on conversations we have had with the employer, we are advertising a contract engagement rate of $40/hour to $55/hour and a full-time salary range of $80K to $105K.
It is unlikely (but not impossible) that we will be able to offer a rate and salary at the top of the range, to earlier career applicants. Alternatively, ideally experienced, senior communications professionals can expect that we will make a strong case to our client, to offer you a rate and salary at the top of or possibly even above the advertised range.
The actual salary offered will be commensurate with experience and based largely on the following factors: credentials as detailed in your resume; the depth, breath and quality of your portfolio; your interview experiences with Brainstorm Creative Resources and/or our client; and quality of reference providers and references provided.
The employer offers a robust and generous benefits package to full-time employees. Benefits will not be offered during the contract engagement. We can share a detailed benefits summary with the most well qualified applicants.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003.
We are recruiting for this position at the request of the hiring organization -- a group we have supported since 2018. We typically post salary and rate ranges in public-facing job descriptions (see above), but we do not typically include employer names. We hope you will allow us to represent you, rather than working independently to identify the hiring organization so that you can inquire with them directly.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application and salary request with a cover letter that clearly indicates their fitness for the position. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employer.