An educational technology company that partners with top colleges and universities nationwide to bring their degree programs online, is looking to develop an ongoing working relationship with a freelance editor who can offer regular availabilty to accept editing and fact checking projects with turnaround times of approximately two to four days.
Our client will task the freelance editor with reviewing SEO and link building content for partner company domains (minisites, program pages, online courses, social media plans), ensuring content accuracy, clarity, organization, spelling, grammar and style along with fact checking statistics and data visualizations. Familiarity with web accessibility (WCAG) is required, and individuals will be trained on internal marketing standards set by in-house legal compliance teams.
Brainstorm Creative Resources has supported the client organization since 2016 and we have been working particularly closely with them throughout much of the last year. We can share the organization name, the hiring manager's credentials, information about our work history with the organization and examples of the types of products that might be produced in this role, with the most well qualified applicants.
* Fact-checking, proofreading, and copy editing content (text and visuals) for grammar, style, and structure across a wide range of subject matters — including business, data and analytics, health care, education, government, law, mental health and communications.
* Work closely with writers and other editors to revise projects, including feature stories, profiles, infographics and commentary. The person in this role is expected to edit everything from tweets to academic research, always thinking about and debating the finer points of language usage.
* Confirm that all copy (in design files and in docs) is compliant with marketing standards and is accessible to screen readers.
* Efficiently process assignments with little direction, prioritizing quick turnaround requests
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's with relevant coursework in journalism, communications, English, or similar.
* 5+ years copy editing in a deadline-driven environment.
* 2+ years experience in content marketing and demonstrable knowledge of SEO best practices.
* 2+ years experience with content management and project management systems.
* 3+ years experience working in/around Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator.
* In-depth knowledge of The Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style.
* Experience in an external or in-house agency; comfortable managing budgets and invoices.
* Ability to adapt to different work styles and shifting deadlines.
* Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple assignments.
This role is open to qualified individuals who are currently living in or have a permanent address in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia. All work can be done remotely (i.e. from your home). You will not need to visit the organization's offices, which are in Maryland. It is worth mentioning that much of the organization's full-time staff works remotely year-round.
We are seeking well qualified individuals who are interested in the following situation:
(1) projects of varying scope/size that will be offered with short notice;
(2) by a client that might request support on multiple projects simultaneously;
(3) ongoing for the foreseeable future;
(4) with dayside communications availability required;
(5) working entirely from a remote location (your home, etc.) in DC, MD or VA.
Brainstorm Creative Resources strives to pay competitively. For this scope of work we are suggesting a rate range of $40/hour to $50/hour.
The actual rate offered will be commensurate with your experience and will largely be based on the following factors: credentials as detailed in your resume, your portfolio or other example work submitted, your interview experiences with Brainstorm Creative Resources and/or our client, and quality of reference providers and references provided.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere, please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
We expect all interested parties to support their application with a resume, work samples, salary request and cover letter (or at least a brief note) that clearly indicates their fitness for the position. Applicants who inquire without submitting these items should not expect to receive a response. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employers.