We’re thrilled to announce this full-time Front End Web Developer position focused on data visualizations, on behalf of one of our long-time clients – a nonprofit public policy organization that is considered by many in the public policy space, to be one of the most trusted think tanks.
The hiring organization brings together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world and conducts in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy. They offer an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
The Front End Web Developer role is part of the organization’s Office of Communications, which is a centralized group that develops communications products and strategies to empower and share impactful scholar messages to wide audiences. The Office of Communications meets the daily needs of the institution through web development and publication support, convening and event support, multimedia services like video, animations, and podcasting, governance of visual design and brand systems, social media management, and institutional brand and media communications.
The Front-End Developer handles the coding and development of custom data visualizations, interactives and landing pages to highlight research, in collaboration with visual designers and project managers in the Office of Communications. This role also advises staff across the organization on website standards and best practices in front-end development, including code review, troubleshooting, and drafting of documentation for updating data visualizations, interactives, and landing pages.
* Coding and development of custom data visualizations, interactives and landing pages to highlight research by scholars, in collaboration with visual designers and project managers.
* Scope technical work required to implement projects and create development timelines.
* Work directly with nontechnical stakeholders to develop data visualizations and interactives, through tasks such as drafting functional requirements, providing guidance on data formatting, and creating templates for data format.
* Advise research staff who may be building their own data visualizations or interactives on how to properly code their work and ensure that it meets the organization's website standards, and conduct code reviews of these visualizations or interactives before publishing on the website.
* Draft documentation for both technical and non-technical staff for updating custom data visualizations, interactives, and landing pages, as needed.
* Engage with developers at the organization's external website vendor to fix site bugs and to make other improvements to the site, as needed.
* Work with the organization's web analytics vendor to set up analytics tracking in Google Tag Manager, as needed.
* Bachelor’s degree required; degree in computer science preferred.
* Minimum of three years of work experience developing for the Web.
* Required: Familiarity with WordPress and other CMS products to maintain quality assurance.
* Preferred: Experience developing templates for CMS.
* Preferred: Experience with SQL, Google Analytics, Big Query and Google Tag Manager.
* Nice to have: Familiarity with PHP.
* Working knowledge of other aspects of web development and technologies.
* Familiarity with compatibility and cross-platform issues related to the major browsers and operating systems.
* Familiarity with optimizing graphics for online use required.
* Experience with front-end AND back-end development.
* Excellent spoken, written, and visual communication skills.
* Ability to meet tough deadlines and juggle multiple projects.
* Must present an online portfolio of work that shows versatile web coding ability.
This position is being offered as a work-from-home opportunity or a hybrid that provides the opportunity to work on-site at the organization's office some number of days each week. The organization is not in a position to hire individuals living in the following states: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Washington.
We are seeking well qualified individuals who are interested in the following work situation:
(1) A full-time, staff position requiring a M-F, 40 hour/week, dayside comittment;
(2) that is either executed fully remotely or partially on-site and partially remotely;
(3) which offers excellent benefits;
(4) for an historically significant and well respected think-tank located in Washington, DC.
Based on conversations we have had with the employer, Brainstorm Creative Resources is suggesting a broad salary range of $85K to $115K. Additionally, the hiring organization offers competitive annual salary increases and spot bonuses.
Brainstorm Creative Resources counsels its clients to pay competitively. However, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that they will offer early career applicants near the top of the stated salary range. Alternatively, highly experienced professionals whose resumes indicate substantial, relevant experience can expect that we will make a strong case to our client, to pay you near or at the top of the range -- or possibly beyond.
The actual salary offered will be commensurate with your experience and current market norms and will also largely be based on the following factors: credentials as detailed in your resume, your portfolio or other example work submitted, your initial interactions with Brainstorm Creative Resources and/or the hiring organization, and quality of reference providers and references provided.
This employer requires all staff and visitors who will work in-person to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19. Individuals who (i) have a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, or (ii) object to being vaccinated based on a sincerely held religious belief, may request a reasonable accommodation. This organization’s policies on masks and other pandemic mitigation measures will continue to be informed by DC and CDC guidelines.
The employer offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package that includes both traditional and unique offerings.
Brainstorm Creative Resources is a recruiting and staffing firm that has been focused on placing creative and editorial professionals into freelance and full-time positions with Washington, DC-area employers since 2003.
If you are reading this job description at our Application Portal please follow the instructions included below. If you are reading this job description elsewhere please visit us at http://www.brainstormresources.com. Within our website you can click anywhere you see "Find Work" buttons or text to view all currently open positions. Alternatively, you can link to this job description directly at https://phh.tbe.taleo.net/phh03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BRAINSTORM&cws=1&rid=1558 or https://bit.ly/brainstorm_DC_job_1558. Please follow these steps when you apply:
1) Closely read the complete job description to ensure that you are a terrific fit for the opportunity.
2) If you are a returning applicant please enter your e-mail address and password, and then add the opportunity to your "My Jobs" list.
3) If you have not applied with Brainstorm previously, click the "Apply For This Position" button.
4) During the application process please make sure to:
-> Provide all details requested as you are completing your personal profile (including links to sample work online),
-> Upload a resume and cover letter.
Individuals who can only work part-time or are interested in developing a freelance relationship should not apply for this position. Brainstorm Creative Resources and the hiring organization are EEO employers.