Paramit is a global contract development and manufacturing firm focused on medical devices and life sciences instruments. Headquartered in Morgan Hill, CA, we offer a rewarding work environment with global opportunities while maintaining a small company, employee-focused atmosphere. We are currently seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to join us as a part of our Product Development (PD) team. Our PD office consists of ~30 people, primarily engineers who work collaboratively with customers to bring their concepts to prototype; aiding in the design of their medical devices and life science instrument creations.
As our Sr. Mechanical Engineer (ME) within Paramit's Product Development Group, you will lead design and development efforts in a broad range of areas such as mechatronics, fluidics, thermal control, optics, Chassis, and life science instrumentation controls. You are a critical part of a cross-functional team that develops complex instrumentation for customers ranging from young start-ups to well-established companies. Projects are typically fast-paced, technically diverse, and rely on a close-knit, interdisciplinary team comprised of other Mechanical Engineers, a Technical Project Manager, Electrical Engineers, and Software/Firmware Engineers, Consumables Engineers, and Industrial Designers. These teams work with Paramit's world-class manufacturing group to seamlessly transition the products into manufacturing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and develop mechanical systems and sub-systems for life science instrumentation, diagnostic tools, and point-of-care devices. These may include robotics, mechatronics, optical, thermal, fluidic, and micro-fluidic aspects
- Analyze existing product requirements and specifications as well as generating additional specifications, where appropriate
- Present concepts, designs, and data to internal and external customers
- Write test protocols and test reports, execute processes and procedures
- Design and build fixtures, breadboards and prototype systems, and system integration with team members
- Mentoring junior engineers as well as supervising Product Development and Test Engineers that may be assisting in breadboard and prototype testing and verification
Minimum Experience & Educational Requirements:
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 6 years of relevant industry experience in life science instrumentation or diagnostic/medical device development
- Demonstrated abilities in the design and development of life science instruments or diagnostic devices
- Must have experience in at least three of the following areas, preferably in the context of life science/biotech/biomedical device development:
- Design of mechanisms such as drawers, lids, clamps, and grippers that utilize linkages, gears, racks/pinions, slides, bearings, bushings, springs, and cams
- Design of motion control systems using stepper and BLDC motors, linear actuators, belt drives, and ball-screw drives
- Creation of micro-fluidic, fluidic, and pneumatic system designs utilizing pumps, valves, accumulators, regulators, pressure sensors, flow meters, and manifolds
- Design of thermal systems utilizing TECs and resistive heaters and thermistors/thermocouples/RTDs
- Integration of optical systems such as light sources (lasers, LEDs), objectives, lenses, filters, mirrors, detectors (CMOS/CCD/MPPC/PMT), and auto-focusing systems
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated success working in multidisciplinary team environments
- Proficiency with 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks for 3D modeling, 2D drawings, and FEA/CFD simulations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint
- An understanding of necessary design control under ISO 9001 and ISO 13485
- Experience with rapid prototyping tools such as 3D printing, laser cutting, and CNC machining
- Experience with shop tools such as drill presses, band/table/miter saws, lathes, and tap wrenches
- Knowledge of test and measurement equipment such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, force/temperature/pressure gauges, calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc.
Working with Paramit you will be at the forefront of technology and a part of making a difference in the medical device and life science instrument industries. These industries touch an immeasurable amount of people, communities, countries, and our world.
At Paramit we are committed to excellence at every level in the organization. As a manufacturer and designer of highly-complex medical devices and life science instruments, we are acutely aware of our responsibility to those who will one day use the products we make. As a result, Paramit is obsessive about doing things the right way, going beyond FDA requirements, and ensuring that every finished product is safe and reliable.