Every firm has a culture – the values, beliefs, methodology, attitudes and standards that reflect an organization’s DNA. But the truly inspiring firms – the game-changers, the industry leaders and the disruptors – have cultures that propel them to innovate and stand out. At Brown Advisory, we aim to be one of those inspired firms. Over the years, we have purposefully built and nurtured our client-first culture.
Brown Advisory is an independent investment management firm committed to delivering a combination of first-class performance, strategic advice and the highest level of client service with offices in Austin, Baltimore, Boston, the Carolinas, Delaware, London, New York, Singapore, Virginia and Washington, D.C. The firm’s institutional and private clients are based in 50 states and more than 39 countries and territories and are served by over 650 colleagues worldwide, all of whom are equity owners of the firm.
Brown Advisory is currently seeking a professional, energetic and detail oriented individual to fill the Senior Accountant, Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting position within our Baltimore office location with primary responsibility for the day to day recording and review of legal entity financial transactions, U.S. revenue reporting and preparation of quarterly and annual U.S subsidiary financial reporting requirements. This individual is responsible for preparing monthly journal entries and account reconciliations, performing variance analysis and preparing monthly internal financial reporting for senior leadership and external financial reporting. This position is designed to allow for rewarding career growth and opportunities for advancement within the accounting function of a global independent investment management and strategic advisory firm.
We expect the Senior Accountant to:
• Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with ensuring data integrity, identifying and addressing process improvements in our financial operations, and developing solutions. You will have strong organizational skills allowing you to manage multiple priorities while maintaining exceptional attention to detail.
• Be proactive. You are eager to contribute and learn, ask lots of questions, and provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You are excited about making ongoing process improvements.
• Be a natural problem-solver. You identify challenges, analyze the root causes, seek to understand rationale behind current processes and only then propose solutions and tools to help staff.
• Work independently and follow tasks through to completion and meet commitments, proactively seeking guidance as necessary.
• Be discrete. You should exhibit a high level of professionalism with respect to maintaining confidential information.
• Have a positive attitude, work flexibly, and have the desire to provide impeccable support to Brown Advisory team members. You will regularly interact with team members within and outside the accounting team, providing high levels of customer service. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally, formally and informally.
• The ideal candidate must have a strong accounting background and be comfortable and confident with navigating balance sheet, income statement, and expense analysis schedules. They must also have outstanding communication and writing skills, be attentive to details, and be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously while working with multiple teams. The candidate will develop strong working relationships with cross-functional partners and various levels of management
Duties and Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Financial Statement Preparation
• Prepare year-end financial statements for U.S. subsidiary entities.
• Prepare regulatory reporting, supporting schedules and monthly/quarterly tie-outs for U.S. entities.
• Support various financial statement audits through preparation of PBC items, performing walk-throughs, and preparing financial statements and related notes.
Legal Entity Accounting & Financial Reporting
• Prepare monthly journal entries for the Company’s U.S. revenue streams and maintain the accounting records for legal entity financial and statutory reporting.
• Prepare recurring and ad-hoc month end journal entries, prepare and maintain monthly schedules used for financial statement audits.
• Prepare legal entity financial forecasts for income statement, balance sheet and cash flows.
• Prepare and record corporate allocation journal entries and intercompany balance activities.
• Review of accounts payable transactions for accurate GL coding and review third party payments.
• Complete variance analysis of balance sheet and income statement accounts.
Financial Statement Analysis
• Prepare executive dashboards and schedules to illustrate business activity in current and prior months and analyze financial information to prepare general ledger entries and comparison to budgets and forecasts. These presentations must be accurate, visually appealing and thoughtfully worded and encompass historical, current and projected information.
• Perform analysis to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes to general ledger accounts.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including business unit, department, and executive leadership.
• Assist with internal and external board meeting presentations and supporting schedules.
• Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
• Assist in the research and implementation of new accounting standards and determine the impact to the Company.
• Prepare/review internal and external correspondence; including emails, letters, and spreadsheets.
• Perform analysis and suggest creative solutions to improve performance and efficiency.
• Create presentation and coordinate meeting materials.
• Foster a culture of integrity and inclusion by way of example.
• Self-motivated / energetic individual with aptitude for progression.
• Other duties as assigned, various ad hoc reports.
Technical Job Requirements
• 3 + years’ of accounting or financial industry related experience, public accounting experience a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting or Finance or related course of study.
• CPA License or active candidate will be preferred.
• Ability to comprehend, interpret and apply US GAAP accounting principles.
• Experience with Broker-Dealer entities preferred.
• Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment and manage well through ambiguity and complexity.
• Detail-oriented self-starter comfortable working independently and managing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
• Strong analytical, problem solving, research, verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Execution-focused, with the ability to take individual responsibility for delivering quality work in a timely manner
• Excellent computer skills, particularly in navigating detailed system-generated source reports, downloading and manipulating data in Excel.
• An inquisitive mindset will be beneficial in this role.
At Brown Advisory we offer a competitive compensation package, including full benefits.
• Wellness program participation incentive
• Financial wellness program
• Gym membership discounts
• Fitness event fee reimbursement
• Corporate gym membership discounts
• Colleague Assistance Program
• Telemedicine Program (for those enrolled in Medical)
• Adoption Benefits
• Daycare late pick-up fee reimbursement
• Basic Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
• Voluntary Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
• Short Term Disability
• Paid parental leave
• Group Long Term Disability
• Pet Insurance
• 401(k) (50% employer match up to IRS limit, 4 year vesting)
Brown Advisory is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.