The incumbent provides professional oversight and independent judgment in leading in the planning, site sourcing, hotel and vendor contracting, scheduling, budget development, supervision of designated staff and on-site management of specific meetings, and member relations. The Senior Meeting Planner also assists the Vice President on special projects and activities as assigned by the Associate Vice President.
- Works closely with AVP and Vice President in the development of the Meetings budgets and adheres to the budgets they are responsible for.
- Works with logistical and operational arrangements for the successful implementation of designated meetings.
- Works with staff representatives and other MBA personnel to determine exact space requirements and space needs for meetings and conferences.
- Directs and provides hotel vendors with detailed meetings programs that include instructions for room set-ups, audio-visual requirements, and banquet events. Interfaces with hotel sales, convention, and catering personnel regarding detailed instructions and requirements to ensure the development of meeting plans.
- Works independently on MBA conferences and is the primary point person for the assigned conferences. Responsible for assigning all program space and its affiliated functions to maximize MBA revenues.Instrumental in the development of materials relating to meetings where there is specific responsibility.
- Travels, directs, and supports on-site management of registration procedures, accommodations, meeting rooms, equipment and supplies, audio/visual requirements, meal functions, etc. for several major programs throughout the year. Serve as a principal liaison with the hotel staff and all vendor and supplier contacts. Utilizes independent judgment in the design and implementation of these activities.
- Reviews and processes all relevant bills related to expenses incurred during meetings under direct supervision and management.
- Works closely with colleagues in the Meetings Department to ensure successful integration of all elements required for the successful implementation of meeting activities.
- Works with members and vendors to oversee the distribution, assignment, payment processing and release of affiliate space and suites across conferences while maximizing revenues against budget. Manages affiliate relationships to help leverage their participation and engagement with MBA through ongoing communications and outreach.
- Works with members and vendors to oversee securing courtesy room blocks. Manage agreements with members. Check with vendors if special accommodations are needed. Work with members to manage the receipt of their rooming lists and to ensure guestrooms are available. Work with housing lead to input and cross check the entering of the rooming lists. Confirm with member the rooming list is entered accurately. This will often fall in line with affiliate relationship management as there is frequent cross-over.
- Develop and distribute hotel RFPs for future meetings and develop shortlists. Ensures all information is received and correct in a timely fashion.
- Work with Meetings and Marketing on assisting with influencer meeting promotion projects.
- Assist with research on facilities, conduct site visits as required and help refine vendor contracts for meetings as needed.
- This position description should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this job. Incumbents are required to perform other functions as assigned.
College degree; CMP or CMM designation strongly preferred. A minimum of five years of experience in the direction, management and execution of large meetings and/or convention/exhibit environment. Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to manage several projects simultaneously. Knowledge of association management and content management software preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Computer literacy, with knowledge of Word and Excel. Extensive travel required. Utilizes independent judgment in the design and implementation of these activities. Must be results driven and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment in a composed manner. Customer service and team orientation skills are essential. Ability to understand and use software to process and maintain information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent in this position to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach, stoop kneel to install computer equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Light to moderate lifting is required.
- Ability to adjust to the stress of traveling.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required as business demands dictate.
The Association has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Association reserves the right to change this position description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Association may deem appropriate.
The Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
It is anticipated that less than 20% of time for this position is devoted to "lobbying activities" as designed under the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1993.