The Associate Vice President (AVP) will provide strategic leadership and manage the day-to-day execution of MBA’s Affordable Housing Initiatives, including supervising a staff team and ensuring coordination with internal and external stakeholders. Incumbent will drive results that underscore the member value of our work, enhance the reputation of MBA as a partner and thought-leader on affordable housing issues, and leverage the brand and resources of our association to make a meaningful impact on affordability challenges. Incumbent will blend strategic and visionary responsibilities with pragmatic and results-oriented management duties.
Incumbent will oversee the team’s execution of MBA’s CONVERGENCE place-based initiatives, the work of two MBA member advisory councils on affordable housing (one on rental and one on homeownership), MBA’s Consumer Affairs Advisory Council, and a variety of ad hoc assignments, task forces, and special projects.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Staff Leadership – manage the team’s daily responsibilities with a focus on end results.
- Project Management – conceptualize, design, and oversee the delivery of key projects.
- Strategic Planning – develop, prioritize, and implement key initiatives.
- Public Policy – work with MBA members/staff to develop affordable housing policy ideas.
- Coordination – ensure awareness and alignment with internal and external partners.
- Communications – build MBA’s brand/value as a leader on affordable housing.
The incumbent will provide strategic and tactical advice to the Senior Vice President, Affordable Housing Initiatives.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Provides strategic leadership and ensures that key projects/initiatives are executed in a timely and effective manner.
- Manages MBAs Affordable Housing Initiatives team, including the Associate Director and Senior Specialist positions. Helps mentor and guide the professional development of staff.
- Oversees MBA’s advisory councils on affordable rental housing and homeownership as well as MBA’s Consumer Affairs Advisory Council.
- Facilitates alignment with internal and external stakeholders to facilitate alignment on affordable housing issues, including partnerships in the business and policy arenas.
- Ensures coordination on affordable housing policy issues/positions with MBA’s RESBOG and COMBOG. Ensures that we are delivering on key scorecard metrics for MBA’s Board of Directors and senior leadership.
- Monitors the affordable housing policy and business environment via coordinated outreach to key MBA members and stakeholders. Analyzes and summarizes key affordable housing issues, developments, and trends. Recommends ways for MBA to lead or support efforts that align with our strategic goals on affordable housing.
- Ensures that MBA’s Affordable Housing Policy Agenda is updated on a regular basis, or as circumstances warrant.
- Oversees the management of working groups and task forces, both for MBA nationally and in concert with the CONVERGENCE place-based initiatives.
- Coordinates and follows-up with external stakeholders on the execution of MBA initiatives on affordable rental and homeownership. Ensures that key milestones and metrics are met.
- Oversees the communications and brand building aspects of MBA’s Affordable Housing Initiatives, ensuring that MBA members recognize the value of our work and that we are seen as a leader in the affordable housing space.
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Assist staff in the preparation for conferences/briefings.
- Respond to routine inquiries regarding information on policy issues.
This position description should not be construed to contain every function and/or responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this job. Incumbents are required to perform other functions as assigned.
A minimum of 15 years of related work experience. A network of contacts relevant to affordable housing is highly desirable. Strong working knowledge of affordable housing issues. Working knowledge of the public policy process. Demonstrated experience related to the design and implementation of campaigns/plans around specific housing market challenges, including place-based initiatives.
College degree required. Advanced degree highly desired. Highly organized and detail oriented. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to deal with diverse internal and external stakeholders. A proven track record of collaboration and innovation.
Trade association experience a plus.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national oriigin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.