CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
JOB CATEGORY: PRIMARY CARE / MEDICAL / VARIOUS
POSITION SUMMARY: This position functions as a member of the patient care team performing medical assisting duties. The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) approaches his/her tasks in a team-based fashion that supports patients and their families in self-management, self-efficacy and behavior change. With the primary care team, ensures continuity and coordination of care in a primary care medical home.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• Graduate of an accredited medical assisting program; OR successful completion of the internal PMS Medical Assistant II training and assessment program.
• Thorough knowledge of nursing aide duties preferred.
• Must be deemed competent in phlebotomy at time of hire.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have by date of hire and maintain current throughout employment a national certification/registration which enables participation in Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). These may include one of the following certifications/registrations:
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA);
Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) from the American Medical Technologists (AMT);
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) from the National Healthcareer Association (NHA); or
National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) from the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
• Have or be able to obtain First Aid and BLS/CPR certification within 30 days of hire date. Certification must meet the requirements listed in the document “BLS / CPR / ACLS & First Aid Training Resources” posted on Staurolite. It is your responsibility to keep your certification current at all times.
• According to PMS Human Resources Policy 205.006, “Healthcare Personnel Testing & Immunization Requirements,” this position must comply with required testing and immunizations. Testing and immunizations including TB, Hepatitis B (consent or waiver), Tdap, MMR, and Varicella, will be available at the employee’s PMS health center. Influenza vaccines will be required according to dates set by the CDC and NMDOH.
• Must pass skills competency assessments within 90 days of hire and as required throughout employment.