Headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, Tidewater Transportation & Terminals operates the largest barge transportation and terminal network on the Columbia-Snake River system. We are currently seeking a Business Analyst to be responsible for assisting the Vice President/Chief Commercial Officer (VP/CCO), Business Development (BD) team and the Financial Planning and Analysis Manager in developing, measuring, analyzing, and supporting the pricing and profitability of all the company’s commercial activities. This position will develop financial models for existing and prospective business development opportunities as well as pricing and other contract renewal terms, perform market, commodity and competitor analysis as needed to support the business, and develop, manage, and report appropriate commercial analytics that will help drive the business.
1. Manages self and others in support of safe and incident-free operations. Responsible for knowing and abiding by safety management system policies and procedures.
2. Participates as part of the commercial team developing financial models for existing and prospective business development opportunities as well as pricing and other contract renewal terms.
3. Performs market, commodity and competitor analysis as needed to support the business.
4. Performs detailed commercial analysis for contract negotiations, new business development, projects, mergers, and acquisitions activity, etc.
5. Develops, manages, and reports appropriate commercial analytics that will help drive the business.
6. Assist in developing profitability analysis for each business segment to provide insight and guidance to pricing strategies; develops reporting metrics to understand the contribution of each portion of the supply chain to corporate profitability.
7. Collaborates with BD team members on rates and pricing. Improves and moves current spreadsheet-based processes into a price model or other technological based system, eventually becoming the gatekeeper of pricing.
8. Prepares business cases, board decks, customer presentations, and other material as required.
9. Supports management in assessing and developing barge fleet asset utilization strategies.
10. Assists in annual and long-term capital planning process, specifically around fleet requirements in support of existing and/or new business.
11. Supports all Tidewater companies (Tidewater Barge Lines, Tidewater Terminal Company, Tidewater Environmental Services and Island Tug and Barge) as needed to assist in analysis for new business and existing contract renewals.
12. Participates in merger and acquisition activities, including modeling, data analysis, etc. Works with finance team on return on investment and business case development.
13. Participates in the development of annual tonnage, revenue, and capital budgeting processes.
14. Serves as a power-user for Microsoft Power BI to develop commercial dashboards providing actionable insight into the business. Mentors others within the company on Power BI development and usage.
15. Involved in the development, implementation, and use of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, mathematics, or a closely related field of study required.
2. A minimum of five years’ related experience performing business modeling, data analysis, and capital planning.
3. Cross functional management experience that demonstrates the ability and interpersonal skills necessary to drive outcomes among personnel outside of the Finance and Accounting Departments.
1. Leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills sufficient to guide and direct others, influence change, resolve problems, and negotiate solutions beneficial to the Company and individual employees.
2. Written and verbal communication skills sufficient to communicate and present information up, down and across the organization and with the Company’s Board, stakeholders, and key customers.
3. Written communication skills sufficient to create contracts, documents, correspondence, presentations, and other materials relative to the essential functions of the job.
4. Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive communications.
5. Demonstrated high level of strategic analytical and technical proficiency.
6. High degree of business acumen and professionalism.
7. Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.
8. Advanced level skills in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Power BI. Working knowledge of other Microsoft Office Suite programs.
9. Knowledge and familiarity of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems and database structures desired. Microsoft Great Plains Dynamics preferred.
10. Ability to travel to other company operations outside of Vancouver, Washington to conduct essential functions of the position as required.
Ability to read, write, verbalize, and comprehend instructions and correspondence in the English language.
Must be mathematically competent sufficient to perform the essential functions of the position.
May require a combination of sitting, standing, and walking. May require lifting up to 15 pounds on occasion.
This position is performed mainly in an office environment.
Machines, Tools Equipment, Software:
Personal computer, fax machine, copy machine, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), and any other software, systems, or equipment required to perform essential job requirements.
The characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be required for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this or similar positions and additional duties may be assigned.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.