Headquartered in Vancouver, Washington, Tidewater Transportation & Terminals operates the largest barge transportation and terminal network on the Columbia-Snake River system. We are currently seeking an Assistant Port Engineer to support the Engineering and Maintenance Department with the coordination, supervision, and documentation of tasks and functions associated with the repair and maintenance of barges and tugs to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient operations of the fleet. These tasks may include the preventative/predictive maintenance programs, major repair and capital project planning, routine repairs, and troubleshooting. This position will assist the Port Engineer with managing the maintenance, repair, and regulatory oversight of the petroleum barge fleet including planning, scheduling, documentation, and regulatory interface. This position will prioritize, plan, and schedule maintenance activities while overseeing work activities of personnel, vendors, and contractors, monitor the progress and completion of maintenance and repair tasks to minimize equipment downtime and ensure the quality of the project.
1. Manages self and others in support of safe and incident-free operations. Responsible for knowing and abiding by safety management system policies and procedures.
2. Prioritizes, plans, and schedules maintenance activities. Oversees work activities of personnel, vendors, and contractors, monitors the progress and completion of maintenance and repair tasks to minimize equipment downtime and ensure the quality of the project.
3. Performs duties as a Project Manager for periodic maintenance outages on fleet tank vessels including planning, direct oversight of project workflow, regulatory interface, and project documentation.
4. Periodically inspects machinery and vessels for safety, cleanliness, and adherence to company preventive maintenance procedures.
5. Assists with customer and regulatory audits.
6. Assists with developing and managing budgets for operational and capital expense projects.
7. Ensures materials and repair procedures related to projects meet regulatory standards and specifications.
8. Assists in the oversight of the Preventive Maintenance Programs for mechanical, electronic, electrical, safety and navigation equipment.
9. Provides research and input to management regarding proposed equipment upgrades aboard fleet vessels for the purposes of reliability, maintainability, and ease of operations.
10. Assists with predictive maintenance processes including logbook reviews, oil analysis and thermographic testing analysis.
11. Assists in the evaluation of personnel for knowledge and proficiency and provides instructions and guidance for task performance and areas of improvement.
12. Effectively communicates project plans and schedules to the Maintenance and Engineering Manager and members of the Operations Department as needed.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
1. Training or education in engineering or related field from a maritime institution is preferred and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
2. A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a maritime engineering or tankerman position aboard workboats or tank vessels.
3. Leadership skills sufficient to coach and develop others and continuously improve department performance.
1. Communication skills necessary to work collaboratively and maintain effecting working relationships, influence change, resolve problems, and interact with personnel at all levels of the organization.
2. Excellent organizational, time and resource management, and project management skills with the ability to self-direct and prioritize goals and objectives.
3. Demonstrated business maturity and professionalism.
4. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and MS Project).
5. Demonstrated knowledge of diesel engine and rotating machinery operations and maintenance, electronics equipment and control systems, and preventative maintenance systems.
6. Ability to read, interpret and analyze blueprints, mechanical drawings, and technical manuals.
7. Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive communications.
8. Must maintain a current, valid driver’s license to operate company owned vehicles.
9. Must maintain a current TWIC card in accordance with Department of Homeland Security requirements.
10. Must be available on an on-call basis nights, weekends, and holidays.
Ability to read, write, verbalize, and comprehend instructions in the English language.
Must have mathematical skills equivalent to those required to perform essential job functions.
Kneeling, ascending and descending ladders and stairways, standing, walking (regular and uneven surfaces), sitting, lifting, carrying, twisting, pushing, pulling, crouching, balancing, reaching, handling, grasping, feeling, talking, and hearing.
May occasionally push and/or lift a variety of equipment and parts requiring forces up to 50 pounds.
This position is performed in office, shop, and field environments. Required to work onboard tugboats and barges as job duties require. May be exposed to loud operating machinery, inclement weather conditions, working around water, slip/fall hazards, electrical and mechanical hazards, foreign body hazards, chemicals, vapors, dust, and fumes.
Machines, Tools Equipment, Software:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, MS Project, Outlook), and any other software, systems, or equipment required to perform the essential functions of the position.
The characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties that may be required for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this or similar positions and additional duties may be assigned.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.