As an Art Director at Contrast DesignWorks, you’ll establish the conceptual and stylistic direction for the design staff and help orchestrate their work—as well as the work of production artists, photographers, illustrators, prepress technicians, printers and developers. You solve design problems, craft new solutions, and create engaging experiences across a diverse range of projects. This is a contract to hire opportunity, must be able to work onsite or remotely but in the west coast time zone.
So, what does a typical day look like? Focusing on one main account, you’ll be one of our resident brand experts—knowing our client’s guidelines like the back of your hand. You’ll direct other designers and review their work—ensuring that it’s on point for the brand, the brief, and the technical requirements. You’ll meet with our client services team frequently, putting your heads together to develop the scope and schedule and to identify the right people on your team for each project. And you’ll get to know our clients on weekly status calls where you’ll advocate for creative and build relationships with them that instill confidence in our ability to deliver quality work—and manage project shifts and feedback with grace.
Still game? Then let’s keep going.
- Review briefs and identify what other information is needed in order to set the team up for success.
- Understand client goals, requirements, technical constraints, and work within project parameters.
- Scope the design phases of projects accurately and resource, manage, and direct designers to ensure deadlines are met and are within scope.
- Work closely and masterfully with established design systems in order to extend and evolve them thoughtfully.
- Supp ort Sr AD and/or ACD with concept and execution of photo shoots.
- Present objectives, design approaches, and creative solutions to clients in an articulate and persuasive manner.
- Interpret client feedback and communicate feedback to the design team.
- Experiment with new tools and techniques and share what you learn.
- Engage in all aspects of the project.
- Motivate, mentor, and inspire your design team.
- Be accountable for the final development and production of creative assets.
- Ensure accuracy and precision of all final deliverables
- Cultivate working vendor/agency relationships to ensure the team has the information we need and the client expectations are met.
- Work closely with project managers and account coordinators to ensure daily/weekly priorities are realistic and on track.
- Be open to learning new tools and processes requested for specific projects and assets.
- Effectively articulate vision, present, and explain creative decisions/rationale to both internal teams as well as clients/stakeholders.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 5+ years of design experience working in teams and independently.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, New Media, or related field.
- A portfolio that represents a wide range of design styles and demonstrates the ability to work within established design systems.
- Solid design, typography, and conceptual thinking skills.
- Intimate knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- An understanding of the possibilities and limitations of web technologies.
- Experience setting up files for print production.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Polished client communication/presentation skills, including the ability to sell ideas to varying audiences.
- Able to be versatile and adaptable with the capacity to handle multiple projects and re-prioritizations while maintaining a high quality of work.
- An understanding that all projects require attention to detail so that work is on time, on budget, and on strategy.
- Strong organization and time management skills. Proactive and resourceful.
NICE-TO-HAVES THAT WE’D LOVE (BUT AREN’T REQUIRED)
- Agency experience is a plus, as it illustrates that you’re comfortable working in a fast-paced creative environment—but equivalent experience is great, too.
- Experience with PowerPoint, HTML, and Figma—or an interest in learning them—is a plus.
- Knowledge of mobile platforms and technologies is a plus.
- Experience working with print vendors and additional print background is a plus.
- Experience managing small teams is a plus.
- Experience doing work for corporate events (digital and/or in-person) is a plus.
ABOUT CONTRAST DESIGNWORKS
Contrast DesignWorks ( www.contrastdesignworks.com) is a San Francisco Bay Area-based creative design and marketing agency. Born out of a love for great work and a desire to think differently, we strive for happy employees, thrilled clients, lean processes, and strategically targeted creative. We provide strategy, user experience, content creation, and design services for clients such as Stanford University, eBay, and ServiceNow to name a few. We love to surprise and delight our clients with exceptional work that exceeds their expectations and have a great time doing it.