Entry-Level Electrical SCADA/Studies Engineer
POWER Engineers, Inc. is seeking Entry-level Electrical SCADA/Studies Engineers. The successful applicant will be responsible for performing electrical studies and/or developing and troubleshooting supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems for utility and industrial/commercial clients. Applicable power systems primarily include conventional and renewable generation facilities, substations, transmission systems, and distribution systems.
Activities will include one or more of the following:
- Protective Relaying: short circuit and symmetrical component analysis, time-current coordination, protection scheme and criteria development, relay settings calculation, integration with SCADA systems, NERC compliance, and arc flash analysis. Applicable software: AcSELerator Quickset (SEL-5030), AcSELerator Architect, GE Enervista, ASPEN Oneliner, SKM-PTW, ETAP, RSCAD/RTDS
- Power System Planning Studies: steady-state real and reactive power flow including outage contingencies, generation interconnect feasibility, P-V and Q-V analysis for voltage stability margins, dynamic stability performance, automation of large batch simulations, working with models from NERC regional entities (WECC, MRO, SERC, etc.), NERC compliance. Applicable Software: PSS/E, PSLF, PowerWorld, Python Scripting
- Design Studies: substation grounding, corona, electric and magnetic fields, insulation coordination (lightning, switching surge, and contamination performance), transient (time-domain) simulation, power quality (harmonics, voltage flicker, over/under voltage, etc.), motor starting, AC interference (transmission line interaction with railroads and pipelines). Applicable Software: CDEGS, ATP-EMTP, PSCAD
- Networking and Communications: design and configure network and communication paths for Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), protective relays, meters, Human Machine Interface (HMIs), PLC’s and other SCADA system equipment; develop basic specifications for fiber optic, microwave, power line carrier, or radio communication paths; travel to project sites to troubleshoot and commission network and communication systems. Applicable network and communication protocols: DNP, Modbus, SEL Communication Protocol, Goose Messaging, IEC 61850
- Logic and Control Systems: develop and implement logic and control schemes for remote and local operation of power system equipment; develop programs on various platforms for the implementation of these schemes; travel to project sites to test and commission the control schemes. Applicable Logic and Control Platforms: SEL RTAC, Orion, Cooper SMP, GE-D20
- Data Acquisition: Prepare points lists of all data to be transferred between control centers and controlled apparatus, assign and program data addressing and routing information, develop Human Machine Interface (HMI) screens, travel to project sites to test and commission data transfer schemes. Applicable Software: Wonderware, Clearview, AcSELerator RTAC, Visual Basic, OSIPI, Python scripting, etc.
- Recent engineering graduate, or enrolled in a university pursuing a degree in engineering
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Willing to travel on occasion
- High integrity
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and self-sufficiency
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- Skilled with troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to cultivate strong interpersonal relations
- Organization skills
Preference is given to applicants with any of the following:
- Within one (1) year of graduation
- GPA above 3.0
- Power system courses covering topics such as three-phase power, load flow, reactive compensation, protective relaying, symmetrical components, transmission line theory, power system transients, dynamic stability, and power system electromagnetics
- Internships and experience in the technical areas and software listed in the job description section
- Engineer In Training (EIT) certification, with the expectation to work toward professional engineering registration (PE)
At POWER Engineers, you can have a rewarding career on every level. Our philosophy is simple: Do Good. Have Fun. Build Success.
You’ll work on fun and challenging projects and initiatives. You’ll have the chance to make a positive impact on society and the environment. And you’ll find the support, coaching and training it takes to advance your career.
Since we’re employee-owned, we get to make POWER a great place to work. That includes providing competitive compensation, professional development and a full benefit package:
- Maternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Vacation/Paid Sick Leave
- Voluntary Life Insurance
POWER is a fun engineering firm. That might seem contradictory to some, but it works for us!