Position: Director of Communications and Special Projects Reports To: Chief Administrative Officer
Location: Silver Spring Department: Office of the President
FLSA: Exempt Station: N/A
Mandate: To competently* and professionally* develop and manage internal and external communications and special project activities that promote, enhance and protect the Company’s image among key external and internal constituents.
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility )
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated strategic communications plan with specific strategies and action items to enhance the Company’s brand equity and awareness.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy to promote the Company’s visibility by identifying newsworthy stories and pitching those to the appropriate media.
- Development and distribution of written, oral and electronic communication in order to deliver the Company’s story to a wide variety of internal and external constituents utilizing presentations, announcements, newsletters, speeches, meetings, town halls, webcasts and website as well as through proactive media relations.
- Create tools that measure and monitor the effectiveness of communications initiatives.
- Define and execute appropriate strategies to support opportunities and solutions.
- Leverage social networking as a communication vehicle.
- Write and/or edit speeches.
- Design and implement various special projects based on meeting overall objectives as set forth by the Company
- Oversee development of company’s communications materials and electronic communications.
- Develop and implement sustainability plans for new projects leveraging short and long term internal and external resources
- Manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Monitor and evaluate (including data collection, report writing and analysis of projects and communication plan
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Monitor coverage of the Company in the media and formulate responses as needed.
- Enhance company’s working relationship with Local, Municipal governments and Capitol Hill.
- Attending speaking engagements and hosting special events.
- Making sure all company materials have consistent and positive messaging and branding.
- Conduct quality control on all communications.
- Developing relationships and working with media outlets and other companies.
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every 12 months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Respond to crises or challenging situations quickly and professionally.
- Have a thorough awareness of current news, market trends and popular culture.
- Have strong interpersonal skills. Ability to engage people and connect with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated doer and team player with demonstrated understanding of corporate business models and practices.
- Have demonstrated ability to effectively execute integrated communications plans.
- Proven ability to lead through influence, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Excellent writing, presentation and oral communication skills with strong business acumen and ability to create messaging that drives engagement.
- Ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards. Extreme discretion, as work often involves confidential and sensitive information.
- Broad understanding of how to leverage social networking for internal and external communications.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with the ability to create solutions out of complex data and minimal direction.
- Must possess strong writing and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong social media skills on a variety of platforms.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships that foster communication and collaboration.
Education and/ or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced
degree is preferred;
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a communications and project management role.