Position: Manager, Business & Legal Affairs
Reports To: SVP & General Counsel
Mandate: To competently* and professionally* provide legal counsel and guidance to employees of Urban One, Inc.
▪ Legal Counsel
▪ Legal Drafting
▪ Legal Analysis and Interpretation
▪ Regulatory Compliance
▪ Professional Development
1. Provide hands on day-to-day legal counsel to all levels of staff, on matters arising in radio markets/stations.
2. Provide guidance on radio market events and promotions, including reviewing and drafting talent agreements, venue agreements, promotions agreements, sponsorship agreements and club agreements.
3. Advise and provide proactive training to business colleagues on risk management, advertising, intellectual property, contracts’ administration and promotions.
4. Review, draft, negotiate and interpret legal documents including leases, brokerage agreements, NDAs, purchase/sale agreements, estoppels, consents and related transactional documents.
5. Interpret and implement statutes, rules and regulations related to various regulatory matters including but not limited to Federal Communications Commission and Securities and Exchange Commission requirements.
6. Directly handle or escalate any other legal matters arising in markets or at stations.
7. Provide counsel on matters relating to sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions
8. Provide counsel on matters relating to images, music, podcasts, blog posts, social media, etc., including use of artist, team, event, brand and other materials that may belong to a third party.
9. Provide legal representation, advice, and opinions in monitoring and resolving any matters/disputes that may lead to litigation.
10. Assist in drafting, reviewing and approving policies and procedures.
11. Actively participates in and influences the decision-making process with appropriate internal clients and stakeholders.
12. Regularly educate clients and stakeholders on legal and compliance matters, policies and procedures.