The qualified candidate for this role is a self-starter who can independently complete a project and job duties from start to finish, is detail-oriented, and enjoys interacting with people. The incumbent will demonstrate a can-do attitude. You will be a key member of the team and responsible for employee relations, performance management, personnel actions, and aiding managers with employee’s grievances/resolutions. You will serve as a lead internal investigator applying sound judgment, reinforced by application from experience and/or training. In addition, you will be front-line providing guidance and solutions using current HR best practices and applying established policies and procedures fairly and judiciously. Provides a high degree of HR service to assigned markets: Cincinnati, Washington, DC and Dallas.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proactively communicates employee relations information to the Sr. Director of Human Resources
- Partners with assigned markets to determine HR support business strategy. Facilitates change and ensures that core HR processes are delivered to support business needs.
- Provides Intelligent, thorough guidance, and coaching to managers to assist in addressing employee performance and conflict resolution to include but not limited to conducting needs analysis, performance improvement plan administration, written warnings, verbal warnings, counseling, etc.
- Independently conducts swift, thorough, and legally compliant internal investigations for assigned markets but also assists other HR members with internal investigations as needed.
- Review all disciplinary documents are reviewed before issuing to the employee to ensure they are compliant and measurable
- Provides insightful and timely support to employee’s questions, requests, and concerns
- Knowledgeable and able to effectively educate employees and management on company policies, protocols, and best practices
- Deploys effective conflict management skills to mitigate liability
- Assists management at a strategic level to develop programs and tools aimed at mitigating and/or preventing employee relations issues.
- Provides data analysis, compiles reports, creates visuals using the appropriate MS suite or related applications
- Lead or support the HR department with the department and global projects and approach with enthusiasm
- Embrace the opportunity for new duties as assigned by leadership
- Keeps abreast of legislation affecting human resources and monitors company policies to ensure compliance.
- Proactively engages in professional learning/training. Attend department training, webinars, seminars as required and deploy skills to enhance the effectiveness of job performance. To include attending all Urban One’s mandatory training in accordance with established deadlines.
- Conducts and reviews exit interviews and provide feedback appropriately
- Maintains knowledge of and ensures compliance with employment related laws and regulations
- Actively communicates employee relations information to the Sr. Director of Human Resources
- Works on various HR projects as needed
- This position should be accessible afterhours including weekends as needed
- Communicate professionally, tactfully, and diplomacy
- Applies a high level of discretion of confidential information
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Travel to markets as required
- Actively supports the Return to Office Committee
- Operates as liaison for Ambassadors using identified software
- Manages the Employment Agreement process, reviews and edits request from the markets prior to legal review, tracks employment agreements send EA notices in advance of expiration dates to the markets for manager
- Oversees the unemployment inquiries, consults with the Sr. Director of Human Resources, and or Legal when needed
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment
- Reviews and approves Personnel Action Forms (PAF’s)as part of the payroll process
- Assist with annual EEO Reporting
- Approve PAF’s for the markets and prepares PAF’s for the Corporate office, the Sr. Director will be the approver for payroll processing
- Works or assists on special projects as determined by the needs of the business
- Critical thinker, innovative, and uses sound business judgment
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to independently draft clear and concise business letters, memos, notes, emails, etc. using the proper business format, grammar, and punctuation is required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills are required to interact with managers, employees, candidates, and vendors
- Proficient with software to include but not limited to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook & TEAMS), online applicant tracking systems, DocuSign Power Forms, and internet research skills
- Ability to learn new software and systems and implement quickly and consistently
- Must be detail-oriented and able to proof and edit documents, spreadsheets, etc.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback as it relates to projects, performance and makes positive adjustments in accordance with department expectations, and accepts full accountability for work product
- Proficiency with sourcing tools that include web posting, diversity channels, and networking venues
- Project management experience, with the ability to respond to changing priorities, and enjoyment of fast-paced, dedicated, technically challenging work environment
- Ability to work outside of standard business hours to include weekends to address urgent ER matters and deliver required deliverables
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Ability to legally work in the US and provide required supporting documentation
- Provide proof of vaccination status upon request
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field strongly preferred with at least 5 years of progressive experience in HR or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Mandatory Vaccination Requirement:
Urban One, Inc. and its divisions (collectively “Urban One” or the “Company”) have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy pursuant to which all employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment to safeguard their health and well-being, as well as that of their families and the community at large, from the risks associated with COVID-19. Candidates should be aware that new employees will be required to be vaccinated by their start date, meaning they have received all of the recommended doses for either a one dose or two dose COVID-19 vaccine, and provide proof of vaccination status, which will be kept confidential. Urban One is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief or a medical disability where it does not pose an undue hardship on the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.