The Role: Director of Business Development
The Director of Business Development is a high impact role that will be charged with driving all business development strategy efforts for the region. This role will be responsible for sales by developing relationships with new clients that will lead to new work opportunities. The role will entail the development of business leads and the follow-up and acquisition of projects in support of growing and diversifying the company’s New York Metro region. The incumbent will develop, execute, and manage Marketing and Business Development strategies and activities to build new client relationships, expand market opportunities, and increase revenue for the region.
- Build relationships within the industry; seek out new clients and maintain relationships with existing clients; create new market opportunities. Ensure that the company is presented with optimum business opportunities to realize profit gains through new business and diversification.
- Develop strategic plans for Marketing and Business Development; stay current with market trends and adjust strategies accordingly.
- Expand and maintain relationships with architects, project developers, consultants and other business and community organizations.
- Actively participate in and take a leadership role with appropriate community organizations, advisory boards, trade associations, networking groups, and other meetings and events to expand and build networks and alliances. Create positive media exposure for the company/region.
- Work closely with internal marketing, estimating, and proposal teams during preparation of qualifications, proposals, and presentations, providing key client insight and strategy and ensuring a high quality, complete product.
- Actively participate in preconstruction planning, activities, and deliverables.
- Lead new opportunities management internal and external processes including collaborating with Regional Opportunity Managers to ensure opportunities are properly logged and tracked.
- Coordinate development of pursuit budgets with Opportunity Managers and manage pursuits costs to ensure budgets are met.
- Lead weekly/biweekly Pursuits meeting with Opportunity managers.
- Lead strategy for all RFPs identifying pursuit Teams and allocating required resources as necessary to meet pursuit budgets. Includes coordinating with other support groups (Marketing, Operations, Preconstruction, Legal, etc.) to ensure all required content is produced and included in proposals/presentations.
- Lead all required Corporate Reporting including the following:
- Pipeline report
- Quarterly Awards Report
- Monthly Revenue projections for Opportunities
Ideal Candidate Profile/Qualifications:
- 10+ years of related experience within the construction industry including a significant business development role; must be local to the New York Metro area and be able to network with clients and other related industry contacts.
- Proven experience with forging new relationships and proven business savvy to bring in new business which consummate in sales. Current relationships and contact with local clients, architects, developers, and designers is required.
- A strong background in the construction industry with emphasis on business development and sales in commercial building specifically federal, private, multifamily residential, hospitality, higher education, aviation, and other product lines.
- Must be able to identify future trends for possible markets and have high visibility and credibility in the local marketplace.
- A strong level of technical knowledge regarding building planning, design, construction, and materials is necessary for communication with customers, project managers and developers.
- Skilled at qualifying potential customers and developing a deep understanding of their initiatives and budget requirements. Understanding of project risks and ability to make risk assessments.
- Financial skills and the ability to evaluate estimating and pricing strategies.
- Excellent planning, presentation, and organizational skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literacy especially in Microsoft Office products and construction industry software.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or related field of study; MBA a plus.
Candidates should have a stable job/career history with excellent client skills, high energy, and the ability to function well as part of an executive team. They should be comfortable and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment as well as be self-motivated with integrity, professionalism, and a passion to succeed.
This is a unique opportunity to join an entrepreneurial yet established and growing organization with dedicated teams of talented employees and a positive corporate culture. The company will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package.