Blue Carbon Finance Fellow
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
CI is seeking a Blue Carbon Finance Fellow that will contribute core capacities and domain expertise in the areas of carbon market and other financing strategies that promote the protection, conservation and restoration of high carbon value mangrove, salt marsh and sea grass (“blue carbon”) ecosystems.
The Blue Carbon Finance Fellowship is intended to support CI institutional priorities, goals and strategies relevant to the scale-up of blue carbon opportunities that deliver significant climate mitigation and adaptation, biodiversity, and human wellbeing benefits. Specifically, the Blue Carbon Finance Fellow will contribute directly toward the design, development and execution of: (a) carbon market and other financing strategies that support an expanded pipeline of blue carbon projects in priority regions; and (b) initiatives that increase available public, private and blended blue carbon financing at the site-level, national and global scales.
The Blue Carbon Finance Fellow will be a part of a 2-year fellowship program cohort. CI will provide the selected candidate opportunities to expand the breadth of her/his/their professional skills and experience through collaboration with a global network of subject matter experts across disciplines. The Blue Carbon Finance Fellow will be positioned within the Center for Oceans and will work closely with the Conservation Finance Division (CFD) and the Center for Natural Climate Solutions (NCS).
During the term of the Fellowship, the Blue Carbon Finance Fellow will:
- Advance Strategic Blue Carbon Initiatives. Support the delivery of strategic initiatives at the intersect of blue carbon, natural climate solutions, and carbon market finance. Lead the coordination of relevant subject-matter experts from within CFD, NCS and other divisions to develop rigorous ad hoc models and analyses that enable project evaluation against carbon crediting and other financial and technical requirements.
- Portfolio Development. Together with the NCS and CFD teams, support the development and financing of a global portfolio of high quality blue carbon project opportunities encompassing multiple scales and stages of development.
- Development of Decision Tools & Analytics. Contribute to the development, evaluation and implementation of sustainable financing strategies relevant to a diverse pipeline of blue carbon projects. Develop and/or refine tools, approaches and frameworks that combine and integrate leading science, finance, and applied conservation and restoration expertise to prioritize high value blue carbon projects and inform potential carbon and alternative financing strategies.
- Innovation in Blue Carbon and Carbon Market Finance. Lead applied research on innovative financing strategies and mechanisms that address the unique attributes of blue carbon projects and promote increased private sector and blended finance investment in blue carbon and other natural climate solutions. Drawing on insights and lessons learned from other ecosystem financing models and/or analogs in other sectors, identify carbon and blended financing approaches that encompass blue carbon and concomitant benefits generated by blue carbon systems (e.g. coastal protection, tourism, coastal fisheries and aquaculture benefits etc.)
- This position may require domestic and international travel 30% or more of employee time, sometimes in difficult travel conditions.
- 2 year fixed term position.
Combination of education and experience equivalent to a graduate degree and 7+ years of progressively responsible professional experience in business, finance, accounting, natural resource economics or related discipline(s) with specific concentration in the following areas:
Verified Carbon Markets
- Fluency in verification, certification and registration standards and methodologies relevant to blue carbon crediting;
- Working familiarity with voluntary and regulated carbon market architecture, crediting mechanisms and transaction life cycles;
Real Assets; Natural Resource Investment
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of natural resource and other real asset investment attributes, risk-return characteristics, and market dynamics;
- Experience with analysis, structuring, and valuation of natural resource and/or other real asset investments;
Development & Conservation Finance
- Fluency in conservation and development finance approaches, strategies, and trends relevant across geographies and asset classes;
- Knowledge of common public and private sector investment structures and mechanisms (e.g. blended financing, credit enhancements, concessional financing tools, etc.) relevant to development financing
- Demonstrated contextual understanding of structure, dynamics, and key economic and environmental issues and trends in relevant sectors and industries;
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategies and operational objectives into financial plans and budgets;
- Experience in the analysis and evaluation of investment and capital budgeting decisions in public sector, development finance and/or corporate finance contexts;
- Demonstrated proficiency in construction, interpretation, and testing of advanced financial analysis, investment valuation, sensitivity analyses, and other quantitative analytical models using Excel.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, evaluation and interpretation of ad hoc financial and economic analyses, models and decision tools
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership & Collaboration. Demonstrated ability to lead, engage and collaborate within highly matrixed, cross-disciplinary, and geographically and culturally diverse teams and/or organizations to achieve shared goals.
- Analytical Skills & Abilities. Strong analytical and conceptual skills, and demonstrated ability to understand, evaluate, and interpret a broad range of economic, financial, scientific, and non-technical information used in economic decision-making. Demonstrated ability to translate complex and ambiguous information into actionable strategies and plans.
- Communication Skills. Superior written, oral and interpersonal communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to interpret and communicate complex analytical data and information to technical, non-technical audiences.
- Project/Program Management. Demonstrated ability to manage and successfully execute multiple projects, initiatives and workstreams with varying degrees of complexity and at multiple scales. Knowledge and skill in project/program performance assessment, measurement and reporting.
- Fundraising & Development. Demonstrated ability to fundraise with governments, foundations, and private individuals, and experience managing multimillion dollar program budgets with numerous sub-grantees and partners.
- Familiarity with blue carbon ecosystems, natural climate solutions and relevant conservation, restoration and management strategies
- Advanced-level Excel modeling capabilities
- Advanced-level PowerPoint design and layout capabilities
- Experience working in emerging, developing market contexts
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled