Director, European Public Partnerships
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous, and more productive planet.
Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, Conservation International (CI) empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the well-being of people. Founded in 1987, CI is headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area and employs more than 1,000 staff in 30 countries. CI Europe leads CI’s engagement with European partners: European Union institutions, European governments, European corporate and foundations, and other key stakeholders for policy, partnerships, and funding opportunities relevant to CI’s global mission.
CI is seeking a Director, European Public Partnerships to maintain and further develop relationships with the French government and other private and corporate partners in France. They will raise CI’s profile with key donors, identify and secure funding opportunities and ensure projects and commitments are executed according to the donor’s expectations
- Lead Conservation International’s relationship with French public donors and associated public and private donors.
- Lead communications with donor representatives especially in regards to AFD
- Build donor intelligence (existing and prospective donors)
- Contribute to the definition and delivery of donor engagement strategy
- Support networking and profile-raising activities
- Develop communications tools as needed
- Organize high-level meetings and exchanges for senior CI staff visiting French partners.
- Identify France’s long-term policy priorities related to the environment, climate change, biodiversity, and development policy and match these priorities with CI projects.
- Raise new public funds to support CI’s field programs, support other CI’s divisions to raise corporate and private funding:
- Identify funding opportunities environment based on the needs and interests of CI’s field programs and technical teams
- Develop relationships with potential fundraising prospects
- Lead proposal development processes
- Lead account management on the project level; and,
- Successfully amplify CI's existing work through new and existing opportunities for public funds
- Keep track of funding and project information using CI’s fundraising systems
- Act as CI’s main point of contact with France-based partners
- Support CI’s goals by promoting CI’s policy objectives in France, sharing strategic contacts, organizing relevant promotion and outreach events, and contributing to a coherent approach in France
- Raise awareness about the role of France and other relevant partners within CI and create awareness of the importance of engaging in these partnerships
- Represent CI in relevant meetings and fora
- Contribute to increasing CI'S overall footprint in France
- This is a full-time permanent position (Contrat à Durée Indéterminée).
- A Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, public policy, international relations/development studies or natural resource management and a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience
- Good knowledge of French institutional frameworks (contacts in relevant government sectors and associated development communities is a plus)
- Experience to fundraise and network, developing and managing partnerships across a range of stakeholders
- Good understanding of conservation, development, and political issues in France, Europe, and globally
- Strong program management skills
- Strong writing and oral skills
- Strong proven interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment that requires collaboration and networking with others in dispersed locations
- Willingness to travel (less than 15% of the time)
- Excellent command of French and English is indispensable
- Knowledge of one or more additional European languages.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter in English. Applications in French will not be considered.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled