Director, European Partnerships
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous, and more productive planet.
Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnerships, and field demonstration, Conservation International (CI) empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the well-being of people. Founded in 1987, CI is headquartered in the Washington, D.C. area and employs more than 1,000 staff in 30 countries. CI Europe leads CI’s engagement with European partners: European Union institutions, European governments, European corporate and foundations, and other key stakeholders for policy, partnerships, and funding opportunities relevant to CI’s global mission.
CI is seeking a Director, European Partnerships to maintain and further develop relationships with the German government and other private and corporate partners in Germany. The Director will raise CI’s profile with key donors, identify and secure funding opportunities and ensure projects and commitments are executed according to the donor’s expectations.
Within the framework of CI's overarching European strategy and under both the guidance of the Senior German Fellow and the Germany public funding lead, the incumbent will develop and execute a strategy to engage with the German government, corporations, foundations, research centers, supporters the media and other relevant stakeholders.
- Act as CI’s main point of contact with Germany-based partners and stakeholders.
- Support CI’s goals by promoting CI’s policy objectives in Germany, sharing strategic contacts, organizing relevant promotion and outreach events, and contributing to a coherent approach in Germany.
- Reflect German stakeholders’ priorities in CI global decision making.
- Represent CI in relevant meetings and fora.
Lead engagement with:
- German policymakers (including BMZ, BMU):
- On global and bilateral development policies.
- The focus is on increasing ambition and making sure nature and more specifically international natural climate solutions are included in UNFCCC, CBD, domestic targets.
- Around the UNFCCC agenda and negotiations and to foster the integrity of the voluntary carbon market and its role in supplementing compliance engagements in the pursuit of net-zero strategies for both government and businesses.
- Around the UNCBD agenda and negotiations, to design a stable global biodiversity framework.
- Financial institutions (including with KfW, commercial finance, and private banking institutions) to:
- Develop innovative adaptation finance solutions.
- Refine biodiversity, use of natural resources reporting.
- Provide measurements of deforestation-related funding, engagement to be pursued with commercial banks.
- Businesses to:
- Manage their environmental footprint and shift towards sustainable supply chains.
- Present natural climate solutions as part of their net-zero strategies.
- Develop biodiversity investment plans for German business.
- Implementing partners (e.g. GiZ) as well as like-minded civil society organizations (e.g. NABU) to:
- Increase the critical mass of organizations supporting nature-based solutions and foster alliances.
- Media to:
- Raise awareness of the role of nature-based solutions within a German-speaking audience, through blogs, OpEds, articles, social media.
- Mobilize key influencers in Germany.
- Drive engagement with German research institutes (including with PIK, Senckenberg, ZGF, etc).
- Identify Germany’s long-term policy priorities related to the environment, climate change, biodiversity, and development policy and match these priorities with CI projects.
- In conjunction with the Director, European Public Partnerships, raise new funds to support CI’s field programs, support other CI’s divisions to raise corporate and private funding:
- Identify funding opportunities environment based on the needs and interests of CI’s field programs and technical teams.
- Develop relationships with potential fundraising prospects.
- This position is based in Berlin, Germany.
- This position requires some travel, less than 15% of the time.
- Candidates should be EU nationals or have a valid work permit for Germany.
- A Bachelor's degree in environmental studies, public policy, international relations/development studies, or natural resource management and a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience.
- Good knowledge of German institutional frameworks (active contacts in relevant government sectors and associated development communities is a plus).
- Experience to fundraise and network, developing and managing partnerships across a range of stakeholders.
- Good understanding of conservation, development, and political issues in Germany, Europe, and globally.
- Strong program management skills.
- Strong writing and oral skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment that requires collaboration and networking with others in dispersed locations.
- Excellent command of German and English is indispensable.
- Master's Degree
- Knowledge of one or more additional European languages.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled