The Northeast Fisheries Science Center has conducted a comprehensive marine science program in the region since 1871. We study fishery species and fisheries, monitor and model ocean ecosystems, and provide reliable advice for policy makers. Our work promotes recovery and long-term sustainability of marine life in the region, supports both wild and cultured seafood harvests, helps sustain coastal communities, and generates economic opportunities and benefits from the use of these resources.
ERT is seeking an Applications Developer to support NEFSC’s IT Division (in Woods Hole, MA). NEFSC provides overall management and direction for its five laboratories located from Orono, Maine, to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Center operations and information technology are also managed from this location.
- Provides lifecycle support of applications and ensure compliance of NEFSC baseline policies and procedures and data standards and governance.
- Possesses a broad knowledge of platform and operating systems, programming languages, software system design, and requirements analysis.
- Designs, codes, tests, and debugs new software or makes enhancements to existing software. Prepares comprehensive test plans and recommends corrections.
- Identifies and debugs moderately complex problems.
- Resolves customer complaints with software and responds to suggestions for improvement and enhancements.
- Performance monitoring, incident and problem management, change and configuration management, and service level performance.
- Provides application support functionality which includes:
- Responding to technical inquiries
- Software rationalization and lifecycle management
- Performing routine monitoring and audits of systems
- Application maintenance and troubleshooting
- Coordinate and implement application patches, upgrades, and configuration changes
- Application monitoring and performance tuning
- Business continuity, disaster recovery planning and testing, and configuration documentation
- Analyze system and audit logs and identify potential issues
- Responsible for server builds, security, and transition from development, test, and production.
- Maintain all code using subversion or NEFSC standard.
- Utilizes Agile Development in cooperation with project team members and participates in daily Scrum and bi-weekly Sprint close/open.
- Coordinates with all Federal and contract employees where necessary to communicate application development impacts on baseline infrastructure systems governed by the CCB, and other entities that manage changes to the overall NEFSC IT infrastructure.
- Work in concurrence with IT Security Officer (ITSO) to maintain and implement Operating and Database Application Systems Support Services security.
- Maintain the documented NEFSC standard code library. Provides codes enhancements and support features.
- Create and maintain Systems and User documentation for all developed applications.
- Participates in the development of software user manuals and documentation. Deliver and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) library in the areas of application development.
- Require comprehensive and proficient knowledge of one or more platforms and operating systems, and of programming language.
- Requires knowledge of one or more systems architectures.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in application development or software engineering
- Agile Development experience or similar methodology desired
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented and organized with strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment that includes flexibility working with a team in an organization that is dispersed; coordinating with the work of others; facilitating interactions among team members with diverse skill sets.
Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
- CompTIA A+ Certified preferred.
BS/BA degree in computer science or related fields