The mission of the National Weather Service (NWS), an agency within the Department of Commerce's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), is to provide weather, water and climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, and its adjacent waters and oceans to protect life and property and to enhance the national economy. The Weather and Climate Infrastructure Services (WCCIS) contract supports the NWS's Central Processing and Information Dissemination portfolios. The contract is managed by the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO).
WCCIS supports NCO's mission which is to deliver national and global weather, water, climate and space weather guidance, forecasts, warnings and analyses to a broad range of users and partners. These products and services respond to user needs to protect life and property, enhance the nation's economy, and support the nation's growing need for environmental information.
Will provide support for seamless operation and expeditious operational issue remediation. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Architect solutions for business development that are feasible within the current environment
- Develop and deliver the professional proposals and design documentation
- Define, design, plan, and implement LAN/WAN infrastructure changes including cabling, switches, routers, and firewalls, Layer 2 and Layer 3 design, and network configurations.
- Operate and maintain all network hardware and software.
- Plan and execute network migrations, network OS upgrades, network hardware upgrades, firewall implementations and VPN installations.
- Provide in-house technical training to staff on a continuing basis.
- Monitor network activity including, but not limited to, network equipment health, data transfer rates, network connectivity, bandwidth consumption, and security intrusions.
- Create, maintain, and disseminate system documentation and Standard Operating Procedures for network maintenance activities.
- Monitor, troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve problems with Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) satellite systems.
- Maintain and operate communication devices and services including Network
- Management tools, equipment and software, and telephone support lines (such as the 1-888-OPSnet line).
- Deliver monthly reports concerning network metrics including, but not limited to, network uptime statistics, bandwidth consumption, network link utilization, and outages for both network links and network equipment.
- Configure and operate CISCO Unified Communications server (Call Manager) in support of enterprise wide VOIP Phones and DVTCs.
- Configure Quality of Service (QOS) over a Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) network to support classes of service and voice/video traffic.
- Provide the on-call and after hours support as required.
- Working experience with Juniper netscreen and Junos firmware-based devices (SSG and SRX firewalls, MX series routers and EX switches)
- Candidates will also be responsible for the following:
- Policy deployment of Juniper firewalls using NSM
- Securing and protecting vital critical infrastructures
- Serving as lead on various Enterprise Projects
- Tier III support in a NOC style ticketing environment
- 10+ years of related experience
- Advanced troubleshooting and support experience of network solutions that include: Cisco Nexus, Cisco ASA and FirePower Appliances, Juniper NetScreen/JUNOS devices and Multi-Tenant Environments with multiple network carriers.
- Knowledge of Routing Protocols (BGP,OSPF).
- Knowledge of Routing between VRFs (Virtual Routing and Forwarding).
- Ability to work under general supervision.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to provide technical oversight or supervision of others.
- Active CCNA/CCNP certification
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
- Experience with virtualization environments and tools such as VMWare, vCenter
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with SolarWinds
- CCIE Certification
BS in engineering, computer science, related discipline, or equivalent.
- Active CCNA/CCNP certification