Who Are We?
King’s Hawaiian has been a family-owned business since its founding in 1950 by Robert R. Taira in Hilo, a small town on the island of Hawaii, also known as “The Big Island”. Now based in Torrance, CA, King’s Hawaiian Retail, Inc. remains a family operated retail bakery and restaurant operation with 2 locations in the South Bay: (1) King’s Hawaiian Restaurant, and (2) The Local Place.
The Taira Family is committed to maintaining the shared values and sense of ‘Ohana (Hawaiian word for “family”) that are core to the company today. When we invite new members to join our ‘Ohana, we seek those who have high emotional intelligence, extraordinary thinking skills (critical thinking, collaborative thinking and curious thinking) and what we call “Aloha Behaviors.” Those behaviors are expressed in three areas: Excellence; Dignity; and Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard. Members of our ‘Ohana are high performers and curious learners who treat each other with dignity and accountability. This is what we seek in all members at all levels.
Our mission is “to deliver irresistible Hawaiian food and aloha spirit that families enjoy everywhere, every day”. The leader we seek will understand he or she firsthand has the responsibility to exemplify our mission to the greater Los Angeles community as well as the opportunity to have a significant role in achieving our vision to become “the global leader in the Hawaiian Food Category”. Above all, this person will be energized by our commitment to never sacrifice on making irresistible products for financial gain, and more importantly, be proud of being a part of ‘Ohana that shares aloha spirit and celebrates the opportunity to earn quality of life in the retail / food service industry.
Who Are You?
You are an authentic, dedicated, systematic problem solver who is highly motivated by the opportunity to build a high-performing team and constantly challenging the status quo to make your operations more effective and efficient. You possess an entrepreneurial spirit and are energized by growth: growth of the bakery business, growth of programs, and most importantly, growth of your team. You don’t “manage” people or things; you “lead” them, you “create” them. You are a conductor; you provide direction, prioritization, motivation, and guidance to your team so that your customers are wowed by their experience. You are an excellent communicator with the ability to both inspire confidence and build trust with people quickly. You have high emotional intelligence and lead by listening with empathy. You model behaviors and activities that set a standard for those around you. You are intensely curious and live to learn. You see problems as opportunities. You are data driven and understand the value of planning and forecasting to eliminate roadblocks before they happen. You pride yourself on being adaptable and nimble. You are a “get stuff done” person. You love food and seek out opportunities to truly understand how to continually create irresistible products for our customers.
The Bakery Manager is the leader for all bakery operations and is responsible for overseeing a +70 person team across the: (1) “Front of the House” bakery team, (2) “Back of the House” bakery team, and (3) Piko team (online / mobile order management team).
Reporting to the KH Retail Director of Food Service Operations, you will be responsible for:
- People Management (Supervision)
- Operational Growth & Excellence
- Planning & Coordination
- Financial Analysis & Management
People Management (Supervision)
- Model King’s Hawaiian’s Aloha behaviors.
- Establish and grow an awesome team with a culture of excellence, transparency, continuous improvement, and data-driven decision making. Most importantly, you build a team that is proud to say they work for King’s Hawaiian and make irresistible products that people love.
- Develop goals / objectives, tasks, direction, prioritization, and timelines for all team members and ensure assigned goals / objectives and tasks are completed on time and either meeting or often exceeding expectations.
- Always ensure customers are served with aloha and constantly seek out opportunities to listen to customer feedback and experience to identify opportunities to improve (quality).
- Develop, execute, and continually train all team members on best practices as well as on established systems and processes (e.g., customer service, baking, food safety, etc.).
- Develop leaders and build succession plans / business continuity plans for each shift as well as for the future.
Operational Growth & Excellence
- Manage the King’s Hawaiian bakery business and identify ways to continue to grow topline revenue. Partner with the Director of Food Service Operations to grow the Wedding Cake Program as well as other programs.
- Become trusted partners with the King’s Hawaiian Commissary Manager and manage the dynamic collaboration and work with the commissary to optimize bakery operations.
- Instill a continuous improvement culture within all teams ‘Front of the House’ bakery team, ‘Back of the House’ bakery team (all shifts) and the Piko team that continues to improve customer experience, product quality as well as operational efficiencies.
- Accurately staff and schedule to the needs of the business (specifically understanding the dynamic changes in needs / demands based on weekdays, weekends, and holidays).
- Manage the ‘Front of the House’ bakery and execute flawless customer experience.
- Oversee the ‘Back of the House’ bakery team and be a partner to the Bakery Production Manager to ensure product quality is excellent as well as made and delivered on time for the King’s Hawaiian Restaurant and The Local Place.
- Manage and maintain all King’s Hawaiian Systems / Platforms: Toast (Point-of-Sales), Kronos (Time Management), UltiPro (Human Resource Information Systems), and Website (update products, pricing, etc.). Ensure data quality and integrity.
Planning & Coordination
- Drive the development of the King’s Hawaiian strategic operating plan and bakery production plan with the King’s Hawaiian Restaurant Leadership Team.
- Develop and/or review planning models and forecasting tools to ensure the appropriate / accurate amount of ingredients, products, orders, etc. are available at all times (specifically understanding the dynamic changes in needs / demands based on weekdays, weekends, and holidays).
- Communicate regularly with the Bakery Production Manager, Commissary Manager, Head Baker, Restaurant Manager, and Local Place GM to ensure appropriately levels of products are being made and/or delivered as well as quality is meet or exceeding expectations.
- Develop systems and processes for communication, monitoring / inspecting, and feedback from staff as well as guests.
Financial Analysis & Management
- Manage the entire Bakery P&L (e.g., budgets, costs, inventory, waste, etc.) and ensure the accuracy of the data as well as performance focused on growing the business (topline revenue) while being efficient and effective (bottom-line revenue).
- Develop metrics to understand / keep a pulse on the bakery business while identifying ways for improved efficiencies in Sales, COG, Labor, operating costs, etc.
Required Experience & Capabilities
- 5-7+ years of Management and/or Supervision experience.
- Demonstrated the ability to lead and execute change and/or operational transformations.
- Proven track record of building a highly functional team and develop leaders at varied levels, committed to excellence in everything they do and can earn the respect of his / her people by developing a culture of excellence and caring.
- Experience in high volume production operations ($2M+ in product sales).
- Food production experience and understanding of workflow from ‘Back of the House’ to ‘Front of the House’ operations.
- Managed a relationship with an internal commissary and/or production partner, not only external vendors.
- Developed, maintained, and presented forecasts / projections, budgets, orders, scheduling, and daily / monthly / annual reporting. Assess financial performance (e.g., profit, cost, inventory, waste, etc.) and ability to identify trends and drivers.
- Managed the staffing and scheduling of a team and/or employees.
- Strong Project Management skills and process orientation. Ability to manage the details and ensure tasks are being executed on time and appropriately.
- Experience implementing and/or leveraging technology tools, solutions and/or platforms to drive efficiencies.
- Possess tech savviness and ability to quickly learn new technology systems and/or platforms.
- Proven ability to operate under pressure (e.g., deadlines, quality issues, customer commitments, etc.) and remain calm, collective and remain aware of all influencing factors during these challenging times.
- Open-Time availability and willingness to work (if needed) any of the 3 shifts as well as over weekends and the holidays.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications (especially Excel).
Desired Experience & Capabilities (Not Required)
- College Degree or some College Preferred.
- Bakery experience and understanding of the bakery process.
- Experience with “Hawaiian Cuisine”.
- Speak conversational Spanish.
- Experience with Toast POS System.