Joining King’s Hawaiian makes you part of our `ohana (family). As a family-owned business for over seventy years, we respect our roots while thinking about our future as we continue to grow and care for our customers and the communities we serve. Our `ohana members build an environment of inclusivity as they freely collaborate, pursue learning through curiosity, and explore innovation as critical thinkers. Beyond that, we are also passionate about supporting the long-term health and well-being of our employees and their families. If you’re excited to rise with our team, come and join our `ohana!
Reporting to the President, the Associate General Counsel provides expert advice and mentorship to the company on a wide range of legal matters, develops and delivers legal strategies to the leadership team and represents the legal interests of King’s Hawaiian. The principal business outcome of this position is to reduce legal exposure and associated costs by way of legal advice that demonstrates an intimate knowledge of business and culture and aligns long-term interests and values with good corporate citizenship. The successful candidate will provide legal support and advice to leadership and staff on matters including marketing, advertising, intellectual property, sales/customer/supply chain relationships and agreements, quality and regulatory oversight and compliance, HR and employee-related matters, ethics & compliance, privacy, and litigation/dispute resolution.
This role is Director level, based out of our Torrance, California corporate office with a hybrid in office/remote work environment.
- Lead internal legal and risk mitigation functions, charting the course for what phenomenal general counsel looks like
- Advise leadership on new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact functionality of the business
- Analyze complex commercial/business concepts and identify relevant legal issues and related, real-world risks; provide prompt, clear and practical legal analysis, advice, and solutions; and generally, assist the business in achieving its goals.
- Utilize high-level communication skills, both oral and written, to effectively communicate with various levels of leadership and staff, across functions and in various settings.
Actively participate in the development of and counsel on regional and corporate procedures, practices, policies, and systems that support business objectives, mitigate risks, and facilitate a culture of compliance.
Lead all aspects of the legal matters for the business, including acting as company's legal representative
- Maintain knowledge of legal documents and operations
- Craft and review legal strategy in response to litigation
- Promote compliance and risk management standard methodologies throughout the company
- Design and deliver training to the business
- Keep a record of all documents and proceedings for the company
- Facilitate filings of licensing forms and other statutory requirements
- Manage outside counsel relationships and use appropriately
- Assist in navigating HR and employment issues
- Provide advice and counsel to Human Resources on all aspects of labor and employment law, including investigations.
- Develop and deliver training on legal issues.
- Review employment policies and related documentation
- Lead compliance with legal regulations including ADA, CCPA and PCI
- Oversee IT contract management related to hardware, software, and cloud contract
- Establish and supervise policy for document and data retention
- File for copyright of intellectual property
- Draft, review, and arrange various commercial and employee contracts and agreements
- Review and mange business relationships with vendors and subcontractors
- Structure joint enterprises with other organizations
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required and membership in good standing with the California State Bar, Georgia membership a plus.
- At least 7+ years of relevant, proven experience required with at least 4 years in-house; experience in food or other manufacturing environment
- Some prior law firm experience preferred
- Legal knowledge in the following areas: general corporate, technology, transaction, and employment law
- Ability to work independently while effectively supporting and collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Experience with contract arrangements and vendor management
- Excellent People leadership skills
- Proficient analytical skills, attention to detail and a solutions approach to addressing issues
- Proficient ability to manage several projects and meet goals
- Practical and good judgment in a fast-paced environment, even in ambiguous situations
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly, and work with minimal direction and as the sole attorney working as part of a larger business team
King's Hawaiian is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our ohana.