National Gypsum Company, headquartered in Charlotte, NC, is the exclusive service provider of reliable, high-performance building products marketed under the Gold Bond®, ProForm® and PermaBASE® brands. The National Gypsum name – through its Gold Bond®, ProForm® and PermaBASE® product lines – has been synonymous with high-quality, innovative products, and exceptional customer service since 1925.
For decades, we have saved our customers time and money by providing the industry’s best, most reliable building products, resources and services. We are Building Products for a Better Future® one project at a time.
National Gypsum Company operates as a family of companies working together toward a common goal with collaboration and open communication. Our corporate entities include: NG Corporate, LLC; National Gypsum Services Company; Gold Bond Building Products, LLC; Gold Bond Canada, LLC; ProForm Finishing Products, LLC; PermaBASE Building Products, LLC; and Unifix Inc.
National Gypsum Services Company has an immediate opening for a Director of Logistics Solutions at our Charlotte, NC Headquarters location. This position will report to the Director of Logistics & Transportation.
Hiring Entity: National Gypsum ServiCes Company
The Director of Logistics Solutions is responsible for optimizing, contracting for, and controlling NGC’s annual $350+ million freight and logistics spend. This includes inbound freight spend for raw materials, outbound freight spend for customer sales orders and stock transport orders, marine spend for all ocean, Great Lakes and river/barge delivery of natural gypsum and synthetic gypsum, and all spend for logistics handling, and logistics improvement projects. This responsibility covers all NGC companies and products, including Gold Bond Building Products, ProForm Finishing Products, and PermaBASE Cement Board Products.
This position leads the freight procurement and optimization team, including freight sourcing for road, freight sourcing for rail and marine, and logistics/supply chain optimization. In addition, this position will team with the logistics strategy and warehousing lead on implementation of new distribution strategies, new warehouses, and the development and deployment of key Logistics initiatives/spend. This position will also collaborate with the logistics execution team in ensuring strong carrier service & compliance – to include enhanced development, tracking, reporting and continually improving key carrier performance metrics.
Major Job Responsibilities (not all inclusive):
- Direct responsibility for and oversight of Freight Sourcing Managers for Road, Rail & Marine, and Logistics & Supply Chain Optimization, working collaboratively with Logistics Strategy Lead, and Demand Management Team to develop and implement freight procurement strategies with asset-based or 3PL freight providers. Ensuring reliable delivery service to cover fluctuating shipping levels while optimizing freight costs at all Gold Bond, ProForm and PermaBASE shipping plants.
- Direct ongoing, regular RFP/benchmarking and rebid efforts for all rail & road line haul freight, ocean/Great Lakes/barge marine freight, and for significant logistics services such as shuttle, tarp and tie services, and road delivery of rock/FGD to plants from quarries or river terminals.
- Work with NGC Legal team and all carriers to ensure all NGC core and surge carriers are on NGC Transportation Services agreement or the NGC freight brokerage service agreement. Negotiate carrier agreements and contracts in accordance with legal guidelines.
- Work with Legal, Finance and Risk Management in setting up and pushing to closure: NDA’s, Statements of Work, and Contracts in Agiloft Contract Management System.
- Work with Environmental Services and contractors to help establish annual budgets and scheduled cadence of hydrographic and dock structural condition surveys at all seaboard plants. Assuring that results are communicated to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with Environmental Services and contractors to help establish annual budgets for dredging, and disposal permits, maintaining permitted drafts at all seaboard plants.
- Work with Risk Mgt. to provide annual marine and rail survey data for insurance underwriters.
- Work with Operations Accounting to provide annual budgeted freight standards for all lanes.
- Implement improved transportation services agreement performance tracking visibility and enforcement. This includes regular reporting and action on core carrier business share achievement and on-time delivery performance, and implementation of carrier penalties where breaches of service are evident against contracted business shares and / or on-time goals.
- Ensure freight procurement & optimization team conducts periodic benchmarking of contract and spot rates on highest usage/highest cost lanes for various means of transportation – as a precursor to freight rebids and or rate continuances as appropriate.
- Ensure regular supply chain modeling [with available toolsets such as JDA Supply Chain Strategist] to identify and implement optimal distribution patterns for gypsum, paper, ProForm and PermaBASE sales distribution patterns [identify primary plant sales areas] and most cost-effective interplant transfer patterns.
- Ensure freight procurement team prepares and presents ongoing freight KPI’s and variance analysis for Director of Logistics and Transportation, Business Units and Finance. Analysis should provide clear picture on freight cost variances due to volume, mix and line haul and fuel rate changes. Reporting should also identify significant deviations from preferred, optimal distribution patterns – or maldistribution – for outbound Sales Orders and Stock Transport Orders.
- Deliver and Report planned and actual results for sustainable freight and logistics cost reduction and cost avoidance/mitigation achievements, as part of ongoing annual EBITDA optimization efforts.
- Ensure that all staff follow accounting and internal controls on all freight rate and other significant master data in SAP TM.
- Consult with Manufacturing, Engineering, Plants, and various logistics service providers on needed logistics improvement projects at plants/ports to facilitate more efficient, cost-effective and/or safer loading, unloading, receipt of bulk materials such as natural rock, and warehousing.
- Proven Supply Chain leader with ability to motivate and achieve consensus across a large diverse group of stakeholders: Carriers, Customer Service, Sales, Demand Management, Manufacturing, Finance and Logistics.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically then translate strategic vision into tactical action plans that result in positive business results.
- Extensive carrier negotiation and contract experience.
- Drives performance accountability of staff, carriers, and logistics providers. Ensures effective feedback and data-based scorecards are communicated to carriers to drive improvement.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be analytical and a good problem solver under high pressure situations.
- Manage conflict in a timely and effective manner, while ensuring professionalism at all times.
- Proficient in distribution networks including warehousing, flatbed, van, rail, and marine transportation.
- Able to manage large projects and lead multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong financial discipline, business acumen and organizational abilities
- 15+ years of logistics, supply chain experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Finance, Business or another related field.
- Ability to perform up to 25% travel.
- Experience working in an SAP ERP/TM or Oracle ERP/TM environment preferred.
• Competitive salary;
• Comprehensive benefits to include:
o 401(k) with employer match
o Retirement Account
o Paid holidays
o Life Insurance
o Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
o Flexible spending accounts
o Wellness Program with medical premium incentives
- Interested / Qualified candidates, please apply online
- No phone calls or third-party recruiters, please
- Employment ready applicants only
The above information on this description has been designated to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of an associate assigned to this position. The company enforces a tobacco-free policy at all its locations.
All National Gypsum Company and corporate affiliate companies, including: NG Corporate, LLC, National Gypsum Services Company, Gold Bond Building Products, LLC, Gold Bond Canada, LLC, ProForm Finishing Products, LLC, PermaBASE Building Products, LLC and Unifix Inc , are Equal Opportunity Employers. Please visit www.nationalgypsum.com to view all of our exciting employment opportunities. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Pre-employment drug screening is required. All companies participate in E-Verify. E-Verify is an internet-based system that compares information from an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility. www.dhs.gov/e-verify.