Part-Time and Full-Time Seasonal Opportunities Available
Multiple Openings (Until Filled)
Pinellas County Government is hiring multiple Lifeguards and Senior Lifeguards for various locations within Pinellas County. These are seasonal, temporary positions performing skilled public safety work preventing injury or death in county open water swimming areas. Employees in these positions safeguard patrons at county open water swimming areas to prevent injury or loss of life by drowning and administer first aid or Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as required. Uniforms are provided at no cost to you on the first day and extensive training will be provided within the first month of hire!
Lifeguard: $13.95 - $22.33/hr
Lifeguard, Senior: $14.58 - $23.33/hr
Position Specific Requirements
- Completion of American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification or equivalent; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- At least 1 year of experience as a lifeguard; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Additional Requirements (For both the Lifeguard and Lifeguard, Senior)
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must acquire and maintain an American Red Cross or equivalent current C.P.R./A.E.D. for the professional rescue or healthcare providers, or higher level of certification within 30 days of start date.
- Must acquire and maintain an American Red Cross or equivalent current First Aid certification, or higher level of certification within 30 days of start date.
- Must possess American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification or equivalent training at time of hire and complete the 40-hour training program provided by Pinellas County Beach Patrol within 30 days of hire.
- Must pass the following Physical agility pre-hire tests:
- Demonstrates an ability to swim 500 meters (550 yards), without equipment that enhances buoyancy or propulsion, over a measured course in ten minutes or less.
- Run one mile under 8 minutes.
- Ability to work other County Beach Parks as schedule and staffing demands change.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Available to work a variety of work schedules including all three major holiday weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor day).
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Driver License upon hire with eligibility based upon evaluation of a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) driving report. Please note: selected candidates that possess an out-of-state (non-Florida) driver license will be required to provide a copy of their driving record from their local Department of Motor Vehicle upon hire.
- Possesses adequate vision, hearing acuity, physical ability and stamina to perform the duties of an open water lifeguard.
- Applicants must have the ability to maintain their physical fitness to successfully complete all practical skills and testing during the entire season.
- Current First Responder, E.M.T. or Paramedic certification.
- At least three months of responsible lifeguarding experience.
Illustrative Tasks (For both the Lifeguard and Lifeguard, Senior)
- Practice the basic principles of Prevention, Recognition, and Rescue while on duty.
- Rescue bathers in distress, apply resuscitation and administer first-aid when necessary.
- Ensure name and start time is logged on the daily sign-in sheet.
- Check all medical equipment daily and report all needed and damaged equipment to Sr. Guard or Supervisor directly.
- Ensure swimmers are advised during the hours of operation to swim in designated area.
- Where hazards exist, warn patrons of these dangers and direct to new location as needed.
- Be polite and courteous when engaging in dialogue with members of the public and co-workers.
- Lifeguards will be assigned to specific duties/roles including sitting tower, mobile patrols(roving), first aid station.
- Promote an image of professionalism, diligence, integrity, and physical endurance at all times.
- Take responsibility for reporting accurate information through diligent completion of all incident forms and daily logs.
- Maintain order and discipline among bathers and beach-goers at an assigned County swimming area.
- Inspect assigned areas to ensure proper warning signs and safety devices are properly posted or in place.
- Assist in maintaining general appearance and cleanliness of beach areas and facilities.
- Receive and transmit information on hand held and base station radios.
- Respond to and treat both life-threatening and minor medical emergencies.
- Maintain awareness of life-threatening situations.
- Perform equipment maintenance and repair.
- Monitor the radio continuously while on duty.
- Clean all the equipment at the end of the shift.
- Perform related work as assigned or required
Below is a preview of the supplemental questions you will have to answer during the application process.
I am applying for:
Both Lifeguard & Senior Lifeguard
Are you able to pass a physical agility that includes a 500 meter swim under 10 minutes?
Are you able to pass a physical agility that includes a one mile run under 8 minutes?
Are you able to participate in daily group physical training including but not limited to swimming in open water and high surf, running on sand, paddle boarding, lifeguard drills, relays?
Are you at least 18 years old?
Are you available to work at one or more of the three county beach park locations (Fort Desoto, Sand Key and Fred Howard Park)?
Do you have any criminal record that would keep you from working with minors?
Are you available to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations?
Are you available to work weekends?
Are you available to work a variety of work schedules including all three major holiday weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor day)?
Of the following, which certification do you possess, if any? To select multiple items that are not contiguous, click the first item, hold down the CTRL key, and click each of the other items you want.
Are you applying for full time or part time seasonal employment?
Both full-time & part-time
If part-time, how many hours a week are you available to work? Otherwise, type N/A.
Do you possess a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard training certification or equivalent or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience?
Do you possess a valid CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers or equivalent?
This role requires possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license upon hire. Are you willing and able to fulfill this requirement?
If selected for hire, when are you available to start?