Pacific Northwest Archaeological Field Director
POWER Engineers’ Environmental Division provides planning, permitting, engineering, site assessment and corrective action services to clients worldwide. Across multiple industries, our diverse staff specialize in the areas of air, water, waste, ecological and cultural resources throughout our 45 offices located across the country and internationally.
POWER is seeking an Archaeological Field Director for our Cultural Resources Group to join the Environmental Practice team working in our Lake Oswego, Oregon, Portland area office.
This is a full-time position with opportunities to support project work throughout the western, central, and eastern United States. Our Western Cultural Resource Department is a fast-growing team of Archaeologists that is looking to expand our staff and develop talent across the region. Along with the qualifications listed below we are looking for an outgoing and motivated individual who is seeking to improve or expand their skills as a cultural resource manager and help to positively contribute to our team.
Roles and responsibilities
- Developing Cultural Resource Management Plans
- Developing and Implementing Cultural Resource Inventory Projects and Reporting Efforts
- Directing Archaeological fieldwork, managing temporary field and office cultural staff
- Preparing reports, site forms and assisting in proposal writing
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of complex projects and subcontractor coordination
- Land agent Coordination
- Pedestrian field inventory
- Evaluative testing, site mitigation and monitoring
- Class I file searches and reporting
- Pre-field preparation, site form preparation, and technical report writing
- Assist coordination with Federal and State Agencies and Project stakeholders
- Master’s degree or commensurate experience in Archaeology, Anthropology, or a related discipline is preferred, however well-qualified candidates with 5 to 10+ years-experience with a bachelor’s degree will be considered.
- 5 to10+ years of experience as a Project Archaeologist/Field Director/Crew Chief in the Pacific Northwest, supervising Cultural Resource Management field investigations
- Ability to travel regionally and potentially interstate, as well as accomplish office-based work.
- Ability to qualify for State and/or Federal Agency Permitting in the Pacific Northwest and Great Basin Areas
- Experience in the Pacific Northwest, California, and the Great Basin is preferred
- Ability to be listed as a Field Director or Crew Chief on the Oregon and Washington BLM Cultural Resource Use Permits is required, at a minimum
- Strong research and writing skills
- Qualified applicants should possess strong leadership, technical, and communication skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to work independently, fully planning and executing personal assignments with minimal instruction
- Knowledge of health and safety standards
- Ability to work long hours, in harsh environments, and in varying weather conditions
- Ability to successfully lead teams composed of diverse personalities
- Candidates may expect to be subject to client or project specific formal background checks or drug test regimens
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of equipment, technology, and paperwork used in the recording and documentation of archaeological sites and artifacts in various states
- Demonstrated experience in archaeological analysis and report writing
- Oregon or Southwest Washington residency is preferred but not required.
At POWER Engineers, you can have a rewarding career on every level. Our philosophy is simple: Do Good Work. Have Fun. Make Money.
You’ll work on fun and challenging projects and initiatives. You’ll have the chance to make a positive impact on society and the environment. And you’ll find the support, coaching and training it takes to advance your career.
Since we’re employee-owned, we get to make POWER a great place to work. That includes providing competitive compensation, professional development and a full benefit package:
- Maternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Vacation/Paid Sick Leave
- Voluntary Life Insurance
POWER is a fun engineering and environmental firm. That might seem contradictory to some, but it works for us!
Salary Range: DOE