FuseFX is seeking a talented FX Supervisor, with a background in television and/or feature film, to join our creative team in Vancouver!
The FX Supervisor is responsible for CG FX procedures, protocols and tool development, and for standardizing the FX process across the CG team. This role will include helping develop tools and workflows for specific shows, helping individual artists when they have a challenge, as well as interfacing with FX TDs and Pipeline TDs in other Fuse/Folks/RSP studios.
FuseFX is an award-winning Visual Effects Studio providing visual effects services for episodic television, feature films, commercials, virtual productions, and VR. Founded in 2006, the company employs 1200+ personnel across ten studio locations and three brands. Our flagship studio is in Los Angeles, CA, with locations in New York City, Vancouver, BC., and Atlanta. Our Montreal, Toronto, and Bogota studios are serviced by FOLKS VFX, who joined FuseFX in 2020. The Adelaide, Australia studio is serviced by Rising Sun Pictures, who joined FuseFX in 2021.
- Partner with the Head of the CG Department and CG Supervisors to ensure that all FX procedures are standardized at FuseFX
- Spearhead FX Pipeline development inside of FuseFX in conjunction with the Pipeline team
- Oversee FX artists and help them integrate new and best practices and tools in order to deliver high quality results
- Execute hero FX shots and create FX setups for artists
- Understand and integrate pipeline procedures flowing from other Fuse/Folks/RSP locations
- Create protocols and maintain up to date documentation and training materials where applicable
- Advise the Pipeline team on ways to improve the FX pipeline
- Deliver consistent high-quality aesthetic/technical work and communicate effectively with VFX Supervisors, Compositing Supervisors and Producers
- Work effectively with the artist team to problem solve creative and technical issues on assigned shots
Traits of a FX Supervisor:
- High level technical knowledge of various FX techniques in Houdini with 10+ years’ experience in a production environment
- Thorough knowledge of natural and stylized FX techniques and best practices
- Ability to simulate realistic water (large and small scale), fire, smoke, destruction, as well as realistic weather and natural elements (snow, rain, clouds, fog, oceans)
- Stylized FX capabilities, including magic FX, super powers FX, particle FX etc
- Ability to light FX for realism and integration
- Knowledge of crowd simulation and/or creature FX (fur and hair grooming and simulation, cloth simulation, muscle systems) is a plus
- Possess strong technical and leadership capabilities, with the ability to train FX artists
- Working knowledge of several of the following tools: Houdini, Solaris, USD, Python, Hscript, VEX, Arnold (HtoA), Karma
Nothing in this job description restricts the Company's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The Company prohibits discrimination in employment against otherwise qualified applicants because of a physical or mental disability and will make reasonable accommodations to enable qualified persons with known disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job consistent with applicable law. The Company will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.